chapter 2

the next day
sam woke up at 9:45 and missed breakfast. she lay in her big bed for an hour then she finally decided to get up and ready. miles was waiting by her door, just standing there.

"what are you doing?" sam asked, still a little surprised to see him.

"you sound peaceful while sleeping" he said softly.

miles left silently. sam stood there for a moment then she went downstairs. she ate a pop tart then went outside to read her book. she read for 3 hours until miles went out to talk to her.

"i'm sorry about last night. i wasn't expecting anyone to come in my room." he said softly and quietly.

"it's ok. i should've knocked instead of barging in. i'm sorry too"

sam looked into his eyes, still glistening. they still had that lust in them but something else was there too, sadness. sam wondered what could possibly be making him sad but she didn't ask. miles scared her, she didn't show it but deep down he scared her.

"let me show you something" miles told sam, no expression on his face.

he took her to the koi pond to skip rocks. sam didn't know how to but she was to scared to say something. she didn't want to get made fun of. sam decided to just sit down. miles sat with her. sam looks over and sees a crow eating one of the koi.

"miles look!" she said while pointing at the koi.

miles walks over to it and stomps on the poor fish multiple times.

"what the hell miles!" sam yells

"nothing should have to suffer." he said softly still no expression on his face.

miles left sam there alone. why would he do that? why did he just leave me here? why? she wondered these things and she wondered for a while.

sam rarely spoke to her mother since they moved in. she s missed home. she sat and looked at the koi missing home. sam missed her room, her bed. she missed sitting on her stairs reading her book. it wasn't the same at this house.