Chapter 25

Kate's POV

It was the 14 February. Valentine's Day. I sighed loudly and went downstairs to make breakfast. It was Bear's winter holidays and he was going to be picked up by his grandparents later that day, to spend three days with them.

I was sure I was going to spend Valentine's Day all on my own and it made me sad. I so wanted to spend that special day with Leo. I've been looking forward to spending it with him since Christmas. But being a Hollywood star made many things complicated. That was one of these things.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat down in the kitchen. Leo hadn't called me that morning, so I tried to call him myself. He didn't answer and that made me even sadder. I tried to think of a reason why he hadn't called me. 'Maybe he got off with some model again', I thought to myself. I quickly banished that thought. That was rubbish anyway, he said it himself, he didn't want to date models anymore.

My parents came to pick Bear up after lunch. I was alone again. I went to the kitchen to empty the dishwasher. I took a wet glass. As I dried it off, the doorbell rang. "The door is open!", I shouted, being too busy to answer the doorbell. I heard the door being opened. "Are you too busy to open the door for me?" I dropped the glass when I heard Leo's voice. It shattered into a thousand pieces, but I didn't care. I turned around to see his face again at last. And there it was, the lovely smile I missed so much. When I noticed the giant bouquet of roses he was hiding behind his back, I couldn't help but cry. "Happy Valentine's, Katie.", he said. I fell into his arms, half crying, half smiling. "Thank god you're back! I missed you so much!", I said, slightly sobbing. When I let go of Leo, he gave me the roses. They had a beautiful bright red shade. "They're beautiful. Thank you, darling!" He cupped my face and wiped my tears away with his thumbs. "Are you surprised?", he asked, looking right into my eyes. I nodded. "More than surprised.", I replied, laughing a little. "Good. My plan worked out." He pulled me closer. His face was only inches away from mine. I closed my eyes and leaned into him until our lips met. I lost myself in our kiss. All I felt was his lips on mine and our tongues playing their little game. I could have kissed Leo forever. When he pulled away, after what felt like an eternity, he brought me back to reality. I looked down, trying to hide my excitement. "I love you, Katie.", he said softly. He brushed a strand of hair out of my face and made me look at him. "I love you, too.", I replied. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer again. He put his hands on my waist and leaned in for another kiss, that wasn't as passionate as the one before. It was me who pulled away first. I let go of Leo and smiled at him. "You have no idea how much I missed you. It was unbearable!", I said, my voice shaking. "I'm back now. And I won't leave again.", Leo replied with the most comforting voice. "I wouldn't let you leave anyway.", I said. He chuckled. "Yeah, right! How long does it take you to get ready for a special occasion?" I had to think. "About an hour. Why?" Leo had this sly smile I loved so much on his face. "Well, I'm taking you out for dinner tonight.", he said, surprising me once again. "That sounds very nice. Which restaurant?" He had me curious. "Apsleys.", he finally said. My eyes widened. "Are you joking? The Apsleys in London? How did you get a table there? It's always booked out!" Leo took my hands. "You know, I'm just good at getting things that are actually not available. I called them and I told them who I am. I said it was very important.", he said. "So they just told another person that their table has been booked by Leonardo DiCaprio and that's why they can't come?" I shouldn't have liked the way he did anything to impress me. But I absolutely loved it. "Probably.", he replied, shrugging. "Well, they probably hate you now.", I said, laughing. "I don't care how many people hate me as long as you love me." My laughter slowly faded into a smile. "Well, then you'll never have to worry about the haters.", I said, leaning in for another kiss. "I should get ready now. It might take me more than an hour to get ready for this very special occasion.", I said after pulling away. "Wanna help me choose a dress?" My American accent could've been better. "It's your turn now to surprise me.", Leo replied, pecking a kiss on my cheek. "Brace yourself! I'll knock your socks off!", I said, turning around and walking towards the staircase. "I don't doubt that.", Leo called after me. I made a face at him. Then I went upstairs.

Leo's POV

After Kate had gone upstairs, I decided to clean up the shards in the kitchen. It was my fault she dropped that glass, after all. Then I emptied the dishwasher.

I opened my suitcase and took the suit I was going to wear. Then I put it on. I sat down on the couch and waited for Kate to get ready. It really took an eternity. I spent most of the time picturing what she was going to wear. She had so many different clothes that I loved on her. Not, that there was anything I didn't love on her. But I was actually hoping she would surprise me, wearing something new. Something I'd never seen her wearing.

I looked up when Kate came downstairs. My breath caught in my throat. She wore a black dress, reaching down to her knee. It had a deep neckline. Her wavy hair cascaded down her shoulders and she wore red lipstick. The rest of her makeup was simple and natural. I walked towards the staircase. "Wow!", I said, taking both of her hands. "Did I promise too much?", she asked, smiling at me. "No, you really knocked my socks off! Look at you. You look amazing!" "Thank you! You don't look bad either!", she replied before kissing me briefly. She instantly wiped the lipstick stain off my face. "I see you still have the ring I gave you all those years ago.", I said, looking at her hand. "Of course I do! I love this ring so much, Leo!." I wanted to kiss her again but she didn't let me. "You don't want to ruin my lipstick, do you?", Kate said, laughing. "No, of course I don't", I replied, before pecking a kiss on her forehead. I looked down at her feet. She didn't wear any shoes. "Why are you barefoot, Katie?", I asked. "I don't know what shoes to wear!", she said, making it sound extra dramatic. "Oh that's horrible!", I replied ironically, "Do you want me to choose some?" Kate nodded and rushed me upstairs. She showed me three different pairs of shoes. All of them were black and to me they looked pretty much the same. "So?", she asked impatiently. "Why don't you wear these?" I pointed at the ones in the middle. "Good choice.", Kate said and put them on. I helped her putting on her coat then. "Oh, thank you! You're such a gentleman today!", she said with a high-pitched voice. "I'm always a gentleman, my dear. Remember?", I replied, failing to sound serious. "Oh right. Sorry, I forgot.", Kate said. I kissed her cheek and we went downstairs. Our driver was already waiting outside.

We arrived at the restaurant just in time and were guided to our table as soon as we entered the hall. Fortunately, it was shrouded from the other tables. Kate was excited like a kid on Christmas Day, and she couldn't hide it. We both went for the five-course dinner.

The evening went by way too fast. We laughed a lot, and bit by bit I realized how much I had actually missed Kate, her smile, her laugh, just everything about her. I was so glad I finally had her back.

After I had paid, we left the restaurant. Our driver was already waiting for us. We got on the car and started our trip back to Kate's house.