Chapter 8

Kate's POV

Leo got dressed after breakfast. We left the house at half past ten. The trip to Reading took about an hour and a half.

When we arrived at my parents', we stayed in the car for a moment. I looked at Leo nervously. "Sweetie, you'll find the right words, I believe in you.", he said while taking my hand. "Thank you.", I replied. We got off the car and stopped in front of the door. I looked at Leo and took a deep breath. Then I rang the doorbell. It only took a few seconds until my dad opened the door. "Kate, honey!", he said happily, "How are you?" "Hi dad.", I said and hugged him, "I'm okay. How are you?" "Oh I'm fine. I see you're here with Leonardo!", he answered. "Just Leo. Hi.", Leo said and shook my dad's hand. "Kate, where's Ned?" There it was, the question I feared. I started to shake and moved closer to Leo. "I'll tell you later", was all I said. "Come in", dad said.

Mum was standing in the kitchen. "Kate, dear. Hi! You look so pale are you okay?" "Hi mum. I'm alright.", I said while hugging her. "Leo, I haven't seen you for such a long time", mum said and gave Leo a hug. "Hi, Sally.", he answered. Mum was about to ask me where Ned was, but luckily Bear ran downstairs. "Mummy, I missed you!", he shouted while running into my arms, giving me a tight hug. "I missed you, too, darling.", I said. I was really happy to see him. "Uncle Leo!", he shouted excitedly. He was really thrilled to see him. Leo gave him a hug and said: "You've grown a lot, little man!" "I know, I'm growing faster and faster." Bear beamed at Leo. "Where's daddy?", he asked me. "I'll tell you later. Now go upstairs and start packing your bag until lunch is ready. Okay?", I asked, hoping he would do so. He nodded and ran upstairs again.

I told my parents to sit down. Leo came closer to me and wrapped one arm around me. I took a deep breath and started to explain: "Ned and I... We... broke up. Yesterday." My voice started to tremble. "What?", my mum asked. "Why?", now dad asked. "Well, Ned... he... he cheated on me... with his ex-wife." Both of my parents were speechless. A tear streamed down my face. Leo pulled me in a hug. "I'm so sorry!" mum said. She walked towards me. Leo ended our hug so that my mum could comfort me. "I'm so terribly sorry!", dad said and pulled me closer to him. I ended our hug and wiped my tears away. I had to be strong, I didn't want Bear to see me cry. "And why is Leo here?", mum asked. I couldn't really answer her question, but I didn't have to. Leo told them. "I thought I'd visit her. I wanted it to be a surprise, 'cause we haven't seen each other for ages. I had no idea what happened until I arrived at Kate's." Bear came in. Thank god he didn't see that I had cried. We had lunch then.

When we arrived at home, I asked Leo to give me some time with Bear to tell him what had happened.

I sat down next to Bear on his bed. "Listen to me, darling. Mummy and daddy have been arguing a lot lately, and we always seem to be in a grumpy mood with each other. Well, daddy has decided that he needs to take some time and he moved out yesterday. You'll still get to see him whenever you want. You can visit him at his new home and spend time with him. Won't that be cool?", I tried to make it sound as nice as possible. "But why, mummy?", he looked very sad and it seemed to me that he blamed himself for the breakup. "Sometimes things happen with mummies and daddies. We're really sorry that it happened, but it's not anything you've done." "So are you getting divorced, mummy?", he asked. I was shocked that he knew that word. "Yes. Do you know what 'divorce' means?" He shook his head."It means that mummy and daddy won't live together anymore. But we'll always love you and we'll always be your parents.", I said, "Nothing will change that.". He didn't react like I expected, but it was good that way, because I expected his reaction to be worse. "Will daddy be sad without me?", he asked worriedly. "Well, he will miss you, of course. But he won't be sad, because he can see you very often." "And how do you feel about it?", he asked. "Well, of course I'm really sad about this. But we will go through this together. And uncle Leo will be there for us, too. And you can tell me and uncle Leo everything that's on your mind.", I told him. I actually didn't want to bring up Leo in this, but I thought it would be good for Bear to trust Leo after all. "Okay, mummy. I just want you to be alright." That made me want to cry. He was so cute and he cared so much. He gave me a hug and I kissed the top of his head. "I love you so much, darling!", I said, holding my tears back. "I love you, too, mummy." he replied.