Chapter 19

Kate's POV

It was new year's eve when Leo turned to me in the afternoon. "Can we talk, hun?", he asked. "Sure. What is it?" "You know, I can't stay here forever. I live in LA, and I've got some business stuff to do there, Kate." I nodded. Leo saw my disappointment. "When are you leaving?", I asked. "Next week, I think.", he answered. I nodded again. "I don't want you to leave, Leo!", I said, trying to hold the tears back. I didn't want to be alone with Bear in this big house. Leo pulled me in a hug. "I know, Katie.", he replied, caressing my head, "Could you do me a favor?" I ended our hug. "Sure.", I said looking into his eyes. "Could you please stop being sad?", he asked. I was confused, but before I could say something, Leo said: "Look, it's new year's eve. This is supposed to be a happy day. And I don't want you to be sad today, okay?" He cupped my face, waiting for a reply. I nodded hardly noticable, but Leo noticed it anyway. He pecked a kiss on my forehead and pulled me in a hug. "I'll miss you.", I said, holding on to Leo. "I'll miss you too, Katie. But I'll be back soon."

Bear wanted to stay up until midnight to celebrate the new year with Leo and me, but he fell asleep at 11 while we were watching tv. "Leo, look!", I whispered, pointing at my sleeping son. Leo smiled. "Time to put him to bed.", he said, standing up. He carried Bear upstairs and I followed him to his room.

The champagne was chilled. We sat on the couch, talking until it was time to count down. "..., three, two, one", we both said together. "Happy new year, Leo!", I said, smiling at him. Leo kissed me briefly, "Happy new year, Katie." We clinked glasses and each had a sip. "You know, my neighbours have beautiful fireworks every year.", I said. "What are we waiting for then?"

Leo's POV

We were standing outside in the courtyard. I held Kate tight to keep her warm as we were watching the fireworks. Kate sighed. "I want this moment to last forever.", she said." I pecked a kiss on her head. "So do I." As I said that a smile appeared on her face. We watched every single rocket on its way up to the stars, watched their colorful sparks sprinkling down. We stayed outside until it was over.

When we were back inside, we talked for hours and time went by quickly. We went to bed at dawn.