32

Mason
The bright lights of the hospital were almost blinding as I rush through the doors with Amina in my arms, I refuse to let her walk.

"Me wife needs help," I yelled through tears.

"Please she's pregnant." I was desperate as a bunch of nurses rushes towards us with a gurney.

I follow the nurses as they push her inside a room, and surprisingly they let me in with them.

I watch as they rip Amina's pajamas off her body, and examine her stomach.

"Is my baby okay?" Amina was whispering, I could barely hear her.

"Please tell me my baby's okay." She continues through a flow of tears.

They prop up her legs up and did some more examination, I stood there tightly holding on to her cold hands.

"The baby is fine." One of the nurses said, blood instantly started rushing back throughout my body.

I smiled down at Amina and she smiled back weakly with tears streaming down her
cheeks.

"I love you so much," I mumbled kissing her hand.

"He's okay Mase." I could tell she was struggling to get the words out.

"We're going to be..." Amina stopped mid-sentence her dull brown eyes still on me, then the monitor started peeping frantically

"We're losing mom." Another nurse held, I look up at her then back at Amina's now colorless face.

"We need to get a doctor in here." The only male nurse yells hooking more things to Amina's arms.

"Baby's heart rate is rapidly dropping, we need to get him out now or we're going to lose him." I stood there frozen, staring down at Amina's lifeless body.

"Page Dr.Brown she's going to need an emergency cesarean." Their voices were muffled.

"Amina," I whispered, caressing her face, she didn't respond or have any reactions to my touch, she laid there lifeless.

"Sir we're going to need you to step out the room now." I wasn't moving, I couldn't leave them.

"I can't leave them." I shake my head, tears streaming down my face.

"We're going to do everything we can, but for now you're going to have to corporate with us and let us do our jobs." I look down at Amina again, as they were putting an oxygen mask over her mouth and nose.

"She's my everything." I still wasn't moving.

"Please, sir." The nurse pleads, taking a hold of my hand and leading me outside the door.

My eyes follow her as she walks back inside the room where Amina's lifeless body is laid, leaving me alone in the empty hospital hallway. Please God don't take them away from me, I was kneeling in front of the door crying and praying.

I wasn't one to ever pray, but I was praying because there's nothing else I could do, I was helpless.

Two Doctors rush past me on the floor and into the room Amina was in.

"I know I'm not deserving of much, but God please don't take them from me," I beg still on my knees.

****

"It's going to be okay, my God will protect my babies." Mrs. Harlow said pasing back and forth mumbling under her breath in her foreign language. I called Mrs.Harlow about an hour ago to inform her about what was going on.

It's been almost two hours and we still haven't heard anything from a doctor or anyone. I was getting anxious It feels like the world had stopped spinning on its axis and everything was stuck in place.

Why would God place them so perfectly in my life just to take them away? Maybe that's his way of telling me I'm not deserving of them.

I felt the tears stream down my face, I didn't even attempt to wipe them away, if I lose her I lose it all. There's no life for me in this world without Amina.

I've never been so scared of losing something in my life, then again nothing in my life has ever meant as much to me as she does.

I've tried my best, but at this moment I was losing all my hope, please God, please tell me that your plans are better than my dreams.

"Mason." Mrs. Harlow's voice took me out of thoughts and I fallow her stare to the doctor walking towards us, he had a frown on his face and I quickly got up from the chair.

"Hello, my name is Dr. Brown?" His hands were deep inside his coat pockets as he introduced himself.

"Please tell me you've brought us, good news doctor." Mrs. Harlow took a hold of my arm

"Well," Dr.Brown begins and Mrs. Harlow and I apprehensively listen.

"The patient had a placental abruption, which means her at one point the placenta was detached from her womb, which was depriving the baby of oxygen." Amina's mom gasps holding on to my arm a little tighter.

"We were able to perform a successful c-section and get the baby out, but mom had a lot of internal bleeding, which we were able to stop, but she still hasn't woken up but we are monitoring her closely." He finishes glaring over at us, I was still trying to process everything, Amina is still not awake.

"Is it normal for her to not be awake by now?" I mumbled my throat was dry and my voice was raspy.

Dr. Brown sigh and inhaled a deep breath. "In most cases, the patients should be awake by now, which is why we are concerned."

"Can we see them?" Mrs. Harlow asked.

"At this very moment you won't be able to see mom, but the baby is in the NICU, I will happily lead the way." I unhesitantly went and sat back down, not following the doctor, I didn't want to see him, for some reason, my chest felt heavy with guilty but I didn't care.

"Mason, are you coming?" Mrs. Harlow stops in her tracks and looks over at me.

"No," I said flatly.