37

AMINA

Everything was cold and white, my mind was blank, the inside of my mouth and lips felt like paper.

I heard peeping noises, a lot of them, a baby was crying from a distance. My Baby. Where's my Baby?

My eyes snap open as I frantically look around the room, the blinding bright lights hit my eyes, and I quickly shut them, it's like I've been in the dark for so long.

I tried again slowly this time I open my eyes back up, letting my eyesight adjust to everything around the room.

A hospital room?

Mason?

I was trying everything to keep my eyes open but for some reason I couldn't, it's like my mind was being shut off, and everything was going back to being black.

"No" I tried to scream but nothing came out.

I try to focus on something, the sound of the peeping monitors, everything was pitch black but I could still hear them. Footsteps, a lot of them, chatters.

After what felt like an eternity, I could open my eyes again.

I slowly look around again, this time I wasn't the only one in the room.

An old man in a white coat with a clipboard in hand was staring down at me.

"3 hours." He mumbled as he looks up at the monitors.

"Where's my baby?" I whispered with the little bit of energy I had.

"Can you state your full name for me?" The old man ignored my question and was more concerned about my wrist.

"Amina Harlow" I had to think about it for a second. He jotted something down on his clipboard.

"And the year, do you know what year it is?"

"2020." He jotted something down again.ł

"What about your birthday and birthplace?"

"Why all these questions." I was more than annoyed.

"You've been in a coma for two months, Ms. Harlow." He simply said.

A coma? Two months?

The last thing I remember was the sound of my baby crying. And then after that everything had gone pitch black.

"Where's Mason? Where's my baby?" That was all I said, I felt like I was going to lose my mind at any given moment.

The doctor studied my face, I know I was crying.

"My baby." I croaked out.

"I'll get the nurse to give him a call," I know exactly who he meant when he said him.

"In the meantime, I need you to calm down and cooperate with me and my staff." He continues.

Nurses and doctors spend hours coming in and out of my room, taking me in and out of different rooms to run multiple blood tests, urine tests, CT scans, MRI, EEG, I could barely keep track.

"When is he coming?" I ask the nurse that was taking my blood pressure for the millionth time.

"Any moment now honey." They've been saying that for hours, but I didn't say anything, I look toward to widow, and focus and how the leaves in the trees were swaying to the wind.

I missed him, I thought to myself, my mind wandered to Mason's gentle face, his bright lit eyes, then a wave of loneliness filled my body, I touch my stomach, where there were no more kicks or baby bump.

I keep my attention on the swaying leaves, even as the nurse exit the room.

I waited and waited...

I look at the clock on the wall, five past 3, the doctor told me they were going to call him since 6 this morning when I woke up.

I wanted to see him. Them. Didn't he miss me? Maybe he moved on. My mind was racing with questions, it was still early in the day.

"I'm here baby, don't cry." His voice and smell engulfed the room and I quickly look away from the clock and towards the front door.

He was holding a car seat in his right hand with a backpack over his shoulder, he looked tired but happy.

"Hey." I said with a bright smile, I couldn't believe it.

Mason just stood there staring at me, I soon realized he was crying.

"I thought I lost you." He finally said.

"Never that," I whispered through teary eyes.

There was a high pitch cry from the car seat Mase was holding.

"Someone wants to meet mommy." Mase made his way inside the room carefully placing the car seat on the bottom bed and unbuckling the car seat, I studied his every move, the wide smile on his face as he looks down at his son it was the kind of smile no one could miss.

It was my turn to smile when Mase picks up the chunky drooling angel in his arms and placed him in mine.

He look just like his daddy, the only differences was his dark hair and his dark chocolate orbs, he was perfect.

"Hey baby." I couldn't help but cry as I smile. His eyes studied my face careful.

"Hey." I said again, and he quickly smile and his little expression softened.

"I think he recognizes your voice." Mason took a sit across from us.

"He's perfect." I smiled wider.

"Just like you." Mase took my hand in his.

I felt whole again like everything was going to be okay, the two of them was all that matters to me at this very moment.

"I love you Mase." it came out a whispered but loud and clear enough for him to hear.

"I love you more." Slowly lift my hand to his lips and kiss it over and over again.

"Please don't ever leave us."