Past To Present

"How am I supposed to go through fifth year with Snivellus as my teacher?" Sirius asked gloomingly.

"Who?" Ron asked from behind him.

"Snape."

"Yeah but what did you call him?"

"Snivellus."

Ron laughed, "Might start using that from now on. Was it you that threw a Fillibuster Firework in Goyle's cauldron?"

"Yup."

Ron laughed again, this time joined by Peter. Hermione scowled as they entered the common room, dropping her bag down next to an empty table. Ron moved to sit next to her while the Marauders sat on the floor.

"You could have gotten in so much trouble!" Hermione warned fiercely.

"Oh shut it Hermione," Ron snapped. "We once did that. Or Harry did. In second year. Did it so Hermione could steal some stuff from the private store room."

James looked impressed, "Nice."

Hermione scowled again, "It was for good reason. Where is Harry anyway?"

"No idea," Ron shrugged.

Hermione started to do some homework while Ron looked at Sirius, "So why did your parents leave again? Was it because of You-Know-Who?"

"Yeah," Sirius said unconvincingly. "He sent some Death Eaters on us. We barely escaped but our parents didn't."

Ron looked deeply impressed but Sirius had a question of his own, "So you said You-Know-Who vanquished 14 years ago? What happened?"

Ron looked at Hermione before answering, "No one really knows. He just disappeared. Now he is back. But people don't want to believe it."

"Why?"

"They don't want to believe that the most powerful dark wizard has returned. Blimey do you guys not read the Daily Prophet?"

James glanced at Sirius before answering for him, "Our parents told us not to read it because its full of lies."

Ron seemed satisfied with the answer, "Smart. Fudge has really turned delusional now."

Clearly James and Sirius wanted to know more about what happened to You-Know-Who and James particularly wanted to know what is wrong with his son. But they knew if they questioned too much, it would seem suspicious. After all, how are they supposed to explain their lack of knowledge of the last 15 years when they seem more than able with the school content? They weren't brought up by Muggles so they needed to have some cultural knowledge. Understanding the trap they had almost pulled themselves into, Sirius and James stopped themselves from asking any more. However, Hermione had paused for a moment to look at Sirius with a very uncertain frown.

Just then, Lily entered the common room and she was accompanied by a girl with the same red hair and freckles as the Weasleys, only get hair was much longer. They were deep in conversation until James and Lily's eyes met.

"All right Ruby?" James smirked, proud of having remembered her fake name.

Lily scowled, "What do you want?"

"Don't," Sirius warned, trying his very best to stay calm.

"Er... How are you?"

Lily raised her eyebrows at him, while the rest watched on in amusement. Ron was finding it very hard not to laugh along with Sirius.

"Is this the guy you were telling me about?" The girl Lily was with asked.

"Yeah," Lily sighed.