4. Knight to F3

Days of Future Past, 2012

Word Count: 6675

Warnings: fluff, idiocy, swearing, more fluff, angst, tension, and even more fluff. 

Logan sighed as he turned and faced Hank, who went to stand behind Charles's old desk.

"I told you there was no Professor here," Hank said through pursed lips, making Logan nod slightly.

The Wolverine was standing in the trashed office of the run-down school that used to house the mutants, contemplating what he needed to do to convince the obviously very depressed telepath to help him stop Raven.

There were just a few problems. One, the only person that could ever convince Raven to stop was Erik Lehnsherr, and he was sitting in the world's highest security prison. Two... well let's just say 2012 Charles wasn't exactly being cooperative.

"What the hell happened to him?" Logan asked, still not quite clear as to why the bright, lively, and optimistic Charles he knew was so run down and depressed.

"He lost everything," Hank sighed. "Erik, Raven, his legs. Broke him so much that he retreated into himself, and couldn't find it in him to continue the school, at least not for now. The few students we had at the time did their best to convince him they could help, but... it was futile."

"I wanted to help." Hank explained the serum to help him control his mutation, and how he gave some to the Professor too. "The treatment gives him his legs, but it's not enough. He's just lost too much... god forbid he loses his hair."

Logan sighed and looked down at his hands. He knew it was bad. He didn't know it was that bad.

"I'll help you get her," a voice said after a few minutes of silence, and Logan turned back around to see Charles standing in the doorway with another topped up drink in his hand. "Not for any of your future shite, but for her."

"Fair enough," Logan nodded.

"But I'll tell you this," Charles growled, pointing a finger at Logan. "You don't know Erik. That man is a monster. A murderer. You think you can convince Raven to change? To come home? That's splendid. But what makes you think you can change him?"

Logan gave Charles a hard glare. "Because you and Erik sent me back here together."

Hank sighed and pulled out a map of the Pentagon - the headquarter building of the United States Department of Defense. He flipped through some of the papers and spread out a large blueprint over the table in the foyer.

"The room they're holding him in was built during the Second World War when there was a shortage of steel," he explained, pointing to the room. "So the foundation is pure concrete and sand. No metal."

"He's being held a hundred floors beneath the most heavily guarded building on the planet," Charles mused.

"Why is he in there?" Logan asked, scratching his chin. That's going to be a problem.

Hank and Charles looked at each other. "For killing the president."

"Oh, good." Logan raised his eyebrows and sighed. Definitely a big problem.

"Are you sure you want to carry on with this?" Charles asked, narrowing his eyes and tilting his head in concern.

Logan shrugged. "It's your plan, not mine."

"We don't have any resources to get us in," Hank dwelled.

"Or out," Charles pointed out. "It's just me and Hank."