16. Pawn to D4

Civil War (2016)

Word Count: 6813

Warnings: swearing, a lot of blood, super extra dum dum Tony Stark, angst, a lot of action, and... I guess I'll just say stupidness though I think it's kind of expected at this point lol

After Kara had gone home, you had to admit you couldn't stop your worry over her.

Obviously, she had gotten the hang of her powers pretty quickly, since nothing bad had happened since then (no more holes in the wall!). And, when considering the fact that it had been seven months without incident, there was a lot less for you to worry about for her, which allowed you to focus on your teaching.

To put it simply, you and Peter loved it. Sure, these kids drove you absolutely up the wall, but it was all in good fun, and as long as they were getting their learning in, that was all that really mattered.

They were very passionate about their learning, and were always so interested in whatever was being taught that day. Sometimes it was a blessing they were so eager, and sometimes it was a curse.

It was basically routine now to have you and Peter be sleeping peacefully in bed, him spooning you from behind in your deep slumber, when suddenly three kids all come giggling into the room at 5:30 in the morning, asking what the plan was for the day and what you were working on.

You were usually able to coax them back to bed for another hour or two, whether it was in their bed or yours, but holy shit was it exhausting.

This morning was no different, only this time it was with Ivory. She padded in with her favourite stuffed elephant and princess pajamas, then delicately tapped your arm to wake you up.

You slowly raised your head while looking at the clock, seeing it was quarter to five before you glanced back at the girl.

"Hey," you mumbled, carefully lifting Peter's arm from your waist and setting it on the bed.

She sniffled a little and you furrowed your brows while scooting to the edge of the mattress. "I... um... I had- I had a bad dream... where these bad guys came to the school and they... took me away from here and said that I didn't belong here, and- and you and Peter wouldn't wake up-"

"Hey, hey, it's okay, it was just a dream," you cooed as you grabbed a kleenex from your night stand and handed it to her. Her tiny hand grasped it tightly, and you pushed some of her hair behind her shoulders.

Your eyes widened as you felt the sweat beads on the back of her neck, and you quickly turned her around to braid her hair. "No bad guys are gonna come. Not for you, not for me, not for Peter or Professor X, and I would never let them take you away from me. Never."

Ivory turned around when you finished and buried herself in your arms with a small sniffle, making you frown.

"Do you wanna stay here?" you asked softly, and she slowly nodded her head.

You pointed for her to throw the kleenex in your tiny trash bin as you crawled back into bed, your back facing Peter as you opened your arms for Ivory to climb into. She snuggled up real close to you, making you laugh through your nose and smooth out some of the hairs on her head.

A few minutes later, Ivory was already snoring, making you close your eyes and sigh as you felt Peter stir a little from beside you. It wasn't even ten seconds later when he pressed your back up against his chest, wrapped his arm back around your waist and the other under your neck to resume your position from before.

"Everything okay?" he asked quietly, relaxing his body into yours.

"Yeah," you muttered back. "Just a bad dream."