23. Queen to E4 | Kill Pawn | PART ONE

Word Count: 7192

Warnings: a lot of swearing, angst, drama, tears, yelling and negativity

You sighed to yourself, your ankles crossed while you looked over a math worksheet you had the kids do. It was quiet in your classroom, but you knew it was because it was Friday after school, and not very many children wanted to stay with their teachers longer than they had to.

The same could not be said for Jake, who had asked for your help on that very worksheet. He was sitting at his desk while you were perched in yours, the both of you scribbling away at your respective pieces of paper and praying it would end soon.

Zelda whined softly from under the table, her little body curled around your feet and her tail wagging lazily against the hardwood floors. You sighed, barely rolling back in your chair to see her lift her head back up and look at you.

"Okay," you murmured, opening one of your drawers and reaching into the doggy treat bag.

She stood instantly, her tail moving much faster now while she stood on her hind legs and rested her paws on your legs. You laughed and fisted the treat in your hand.

"Sit."

Instantly, she jumped down and sat, her breathing moving just as quick as her tail. You waited for a minute, making sure she listened to the command properly. Sure enough, she never moved, and you grinned.

"Good, Zelda," you whispered as you let her eat from your palm, then began carefully petting her behind her ear. "Yeah, you're a good girl."

To your surprise, Zelda was taking to training quite easily. In just a few weeks, she pretty much had 'sit', 'down', and 'stay' down pat, and she recognized her name enough to know when you called it, she would run over to you instantly.

You had done a little bit of research on puppy training and made sure to follow the information closely so you could make sure you were doing it properly, and even had Peter try it (despite his constant protests that training the dog only made it that much harder for you to let her go, but you argued that it would be more appealing to someone if she would at least listen to basic commands).

For the most part, she listened to everyone else when they told her the commands, too, but it wasn't difficult to notice that she stayed around you the most. Case in point, she followed you everywhere.

Luckily, her leg was almost completely healed, her face almost looked like nothing had ever happened, she put on plenty of weight, and her overall mood was excited, so you couldn't really ask for more.

A knock at the door made you look up. Warren had his shoulder leaning against the doorframe, and he waved, his curly hair its usual mess while his thumbs rested in his pockets.

"Hey," you greeted, brushing your hair out of your eyes.

"You almost ready?" he asked, and you furrowed your eyebrows.

"Ready?" you asked, glancing over at Jake, who shrugged.

"For the staff meeting," Warren chuckled, and your eyes widened, looking over at your clock.

"Oh shit!" you gasped, then looked over at Jake. "Shoot! Shoot. I said shoot."

"It's okay, Y/N," Jake laughed, cleaning up his things.

You stood up quickly, straightening out your plaid skirt and moving over to help Jake with Zelda hot on your heels.

"Are you almost finished?" you asked, leaning over to look at the worksheet.