2.6

{4337 words}

[Recap]

"Yeah uhh no problem, See you at school!" He turns around and leaves just like that. He never answered my question.

[Another Day]

[Gilbert's POV]

Bash has been rambling for quite some time now. When can I get peace and quiet.

"When you go to school and leave me here whole day with no one to talk to I keep myself busy. If you cook and the food ain't have no taste I chew and swallow. I've carried this pain, quiet, into the cold Canadian spring. You know me, Blythe. I don't like to complain. So when I say lesser men would've cracked by now..."

"Then?" I ask looking up at Bash.

"Exactly. I'm ready. Close the door." Bash says. He tied his tooth to the door because he had a toothache. He wants me to close the door so it'll be pulled out.

"Uh, no." I tell Bash.

"Give it a good slam. I only wanna do this once." Bash tells me.

"This is a very bad idea. Go see a doctor." I tell Bash, I might just close the door if he doesn't stop.

"For a toothache? Just be my friend. The onliest one I have in this vast, lonely country." Bash says, as he finishes his sentence I get out of the chair and walk to the door and slam it.

I pat Bash on the back as I say "Nothing like a little peace and quiet." I walk away and hear Bash say "AH!" in pain.

[At School, Later]
[Y/n's POV]

Prissy is engaged to Mr. Phillips. She's been saying that he was gonna propose any day now but I didn't think it would actually happen. I can't help but feel like it's kind of wrong. She's still a child and he's a full on adult..

"Diana, you're such a dear. Thank you. Now I have everything I'll need for the perfect wedding." Prissy say as she turns to thank Diana.

"Prissy, do you have a bridal veil?" Anne asked.

"I'm going to be wearing my mother's." Prissy answers smiling. "It's a tradition in our family."

"You should keep this sixpence and hand it down to your daughters." Anne tells Prissy as Josie Pye walks up to the group.

"What are we buying?" Josie asks. When Josie asks that I notice Anne's face just go from excited to blank, I nudge her and whisper.

"You okay?" I ask her. She just nods as Ruby starts talking.

"Diana got a genuine sixpence for Prissy, all the way from London." Ruby says.

"I wrote to my cousin two months ago, as soon as I heard about the engagement. I'm just glad it got here in time." Diana says excitedly. I think I'm the only one who thinks this marriage is a bit strange and kind of disturbing.

"Something old, something new."

"Something borrowed, something blue."