3.2

{1336 words}

[Disclaimer!!]
This whole chapter is written in Gilbert's POV. Hope you enjoy!

[Recap]
He clearly likes Anne but I can't help but feel like there's another woman... Why is love so hard?

[At the train station]

[Gilbert's POV]
I'm at the Train station since I agreed to be Anne's escort to Cole's house, so now I'm waiting for Marilla to finish her talk with Anne. I left a note to Y/n at her house and I'm not sure if she read it or not because I know she's still upset.

"Don't talk to any strangers." Marilla tells Anne.

"Of course!" Anne answers.

"Don't accept any rides."

"Of course."

"And stay close to Gilbert at all times. And you're quite certain you have everything? The fare for the train back and the ferry?"

"Of course."

"Because Lord knows what'll happen
if you get stranded somewhere and... Goodness, Anne!"

"Marilla."

"You are how you present yourself. If you look like an urchin, heaven knows the danger you'll attract! Do you know what sort of people ride trains?" Marilla says slightly raising her voice. She's really.. concerned.

"Me! I ride trains. And I've ridden many without you before. And need I remind you that I'm a veteran voyager?" Anne answers.

"Matthew, give her another penny for food just in case. You know what she's like when she's on one of her adventures. She forgets to eat. And before you know, And before you know, sh-sh-she's weakened and... and face-down in a ditch!" Marilla says.

"Marilla! I... I never did that!" Anne says turning around to tell me. I just nod my head.

"Last call for boarding! Last call!"

"Despite your distrust, I do appreciate you allowing me this quest to learn about my family. I just know it's gonna yield something remarkable! It's gonna fill a void that I didn't even know I had!"

"Gilbert?" Marilla asks me, I hum in response, "You'll not let her out of your sight till you reach Miss Josephine's? Thank you for agreeing to chaperone."

"I go every Saturday. It's no trouble." I tell Marilla as Anne and I get into the train.

"I don't know what's come over her, but I'm certainly capable of..." Anne tells me saying it rather fast.

"I'll do my best to keep her out of a ditch." I say smiling at Marilla as Anne rolls her eyes.

As we're both sitting on the train, Anne is seated across from me until she starts talking to me.

"She's fond of you. Marilla. It's ridiculous, really." Anne tells me as she looks out the window.

"If it's any consolation, I don't mind being your escort." I answer back as I take out a book that y/n gave me, she wrote on the inside a small note saying "Do your best! I'm proud of you" she gave it to me when my father passed to cheer me up.

"Well, I mind. I can fend for myself! Do you even know what my quest is?" Anne asks dragging me away from my own thoughts, I shake my head no.
"I am on a deeply meaningful personal journey. And I certainly don't need you." Anne says upset. Sometimes I wonder if Anne actually thinks before she speaks.