Chapter 1

Chapter 1 
__________

She rushed along the hallways to get to the other end, skirts swaying furiously against her ankles. The cold, metal jewelry seemed to get heavier every passing second. She glanced back just in time to see a dagger fly through the air, missing her shoulder by only a hair-length. Her guards awaited for her at the other side. 

Just a few more steps... 

Out of nowhere, a sharp searing pain attacked her waist. She opened her mouth to scream, but no noise came out. Her form slowly sank to the ground and-

"Nooooo!" Revati woke up, drenched in a cold sweat. She calmed her ragged breathing as her eyes rechecked her surroundings. Painted ceilings, symmetrical pillars, a grand bed, silk carpets, and curtains... These are my bed chambers, alright. The dark mahogany doors opened and someone entered.

It was her maid and best friend, Suruchi. "Revati, are you well?" she asked, with evident concern on her face as she rushed up to her. The maid's long braid fell over her shoulder, reaching just above her hips.

"Yes, Suruchi, jus-just a nightmare." She dismissed the matter with a wave of her hand. A hand reached up to tuck a raven-black lock of hair back in its place. She swung her legs over the bed, letting go of white bunched sheets in her fists. The princess reached out for the Bidri metal jug and gulped down mouthfuls of water. Her eyes fluttered close as her dry throat relished the cool liquid.

"I have prepared the aarati plate for you to welcome your brother," Suruchi informed, parting the red curtains and pushing open the windows to let light and a cool breeze saunter in.

"What? Has my brother arrived already?" she asked, excitement lacing her voice, as she nearly slammed the jug of water onto the table.

"No, my lady, the Prince is yet to reach the palace. But you still have to select a rakhi for him," her handmaiden said, hands stretching out, displaying a cushion with a variety of threads with gems and silk stuck to each one. "I suggest you take your bath and offer your daily prayers first."

"Oh, of course," Revati replied with a nod. She went to her bathing chambers and slipped into the pool of warm water. Soon, she got dressed into the new set of her embroidered skirts and blouse before she offered her prayers to God in the royal pooja hall.

She ran to the courtyard, anklets clinking, passing by her friends who were busy with the rangolis, with the aarati plate in hand anxiously waiting for her brother's arrival. She found her father with a smile towards her and her mother with a neutral expression, as always, on their faces.

And it wasn't long before the herald at the palace gates announced their arrival. "Welcoming, Rajkumar Dipankar of Vaibhavgarh! Son of Raja Ram Verma. Along with his wife, Rajkumari Roopvalli!"

Revati was readily waiting alongside her parents. As soon as he dismounted his horse she rushed to welcome him. "Feels nice to see you again, brother!" she welcomed him, performing the aarati and applying the tilaka.

Dipankar, who was a few inches taller, smiled affectionately down at his sister. His wife, clad in a green silk-saree, slithered up at his side from the palanquin, standing shorter than Revati. Her eyes raked her sister-in-law's form with disdain. But it was a fact that Revati was more of a princess than that snake would ever be. In some, even subtle reactions gave away their true colors. 

And others were just misunderstood. 

Roopvalli gave their parents a smile, which looked forced, as they made their way to the King and Queen.

"Will you not bow and touch your parents' feet?" the King voiced sternly with a cold gaze.

Dipankar's curved lips morphed into a hard scowl.