Epilogue

Epilogue
_________

"How?" was the only word she got out whilst she stared strenuously at the piece of paper in her arms. She spun around to face the scanty crowd, outraged. Her murderous gaze landed her siblings, maids, and guards.

"I asked you all one question. How did this happen? How did they penetrate through the best security in the whole of Bharatvarsh!?"

Her tone was dripping lethal venom and burning with fire. They had never seen her so furious before, not even her own sister had. They were aghast too, all they could do was lower their heads in the shame pricking at their minds and lick their lips to quench their desolate plains every minute or so.

She looked to the door. "Unless... unless-" The sharp intake of breath pierced through her lungs leaving a searing burn. She clenched and unclenched her fist, breathing out as orders flew from her mouth out of their own accord, "Security must be tightened at once. The maidservants will not be blindly trusted. Nor will the guards. Over the next few months, this will be your main priority. You will be informed of any changes. Dismissed."

Once they were alone, Dipankar frowned, placing an arm on his sister's shoulder in an act of concern. "What is the matter?" he shot a glance at Suruchi. "Is it... what we think it is?"

Revati could only nod as her thoughts scattered all over.

"E-escort the King to a well-prepared guest chamber and see that everything is to his comfort."

Revati turned back to the man in front of her looking at anywhere but his eyes. "Well, enjoy your stay, Your Highness. Make yourself at home," she said, trying to squash the involuntary spark of distrust in her voice.

"Oh, I will. Thank you," he spoke, and the tone of his voice hinted at something else. Revati almost squinted at him in suspicion but held herself back.

"My pleasure," she murmured, eager to get away from his mysterious presence.

She watched in walk into the corridor and turn around a corner.

"Your Majesty?" a squeaky, panicked voice sounded from behind her.

"Yes?" Revati asked the maid, spinning around to face her with a polite smile.

"Pl-please come this way, to your m-mother's chambers. It's an urgent matter."

Revati decided to go with her immediately, the poor girl looked like she'd seen a ghost. Revati hurried up the steps to her mother's chamber. Who knows, maybe she saw my mother and was spooked? She suppressed a giggle.

She felt oddly at unrest today, not too much but a slight bit more than usual.

Her brain couldn't help saying, Because of someone's arrival, isn't it?

Maybe, but it's not right to judge anyone by their lineage, she dismissed the thought. She almost took a wrong turn, drowned in her thoughts. She climbed steadily up the last fleet of stairs, gazing straight at the door of her mother's chambers.

What could've happened? Did a snake enter her chambers? No, the tower is too high. A screeching bird perhaps? Ah yes, a bird dead or alive, is my guess.

Her palm pushed open the door, her feet leading her naught but two paces in before she froze. Her mouth fell open in horror.

It wasn't a snake nor a bird, it was her mother. Her slumped figure on the chair, her hand fisted on her lap, and her eyes... they weren't open nor closed, they were... dead. Devoid of any indication of life in her body.