Chapter 17

Chapter 17
____________

"So ladies," Revati spoke, her voice an enclosing net over the crowd. "Since past few days, you women have been working hard, continuously. No, I'll not be giving you a break, sorry," the last words were directed towards a woman from the crowd who had raised a question. "But, my trainer will want to have something to say to you all."

Suruchi stepped forward. "You will be training from tomorrow. Proper training. I will first start to teach you sword fighting, which is a basic skill you will need to master on the battlefield."

Surprised murmurs passed around, a middle-aged woman voiced her concern, "But my lady, we are women, how can we fight in the war? The men will see to that. We have duties at home, our husbands, children, and family need us."

Suruchi was about to retort something exasperatedly but Revati put a hand on her elder sister's shoulder. She turned towards the crowd of women. 

"Yes. Yes, they will. But let me ask you: you do intend to stay with them until you age completely and die, don't you? Nurture your children, support your husbands and help your elders? Those are your duties as a devoted woman, correct?"

Many of them enthusiastically nodded their heads, proud to display their love for their family.

"Then tell me, fellow women, how do you intend to do that with them once you all will be killed brutally by Ballaraja's soldiers? Maybe in heaven?" Suruchi asked bluntly.

Everyone gasped, their faces paling considerably. "How can you-"

"She only spoke the truth of what will happen if you remain as you are. You think you are doing what's right, but no. What you are doing is abandoning your motherland when she needs you, dooming the future of your loved ones. 

A sin, isn't it? Would you like to save yourselves and your families? Yes, of course, you all would want the best for them.

If you truly want them unharmed, then train. Train under guidance, fight for the kingdom, prove those discriminatory words about women wrong, and light up the future of your motherland! 

You will train to become warrior women, protectors, mothers, and sisters to the people of Vaibhavgarh. You can become a fighter because you're a woman. Maathaa Kali was too, was she not? And her destruction was far greater than any male god's power.  

Your mother calls you, don't ignore her. Save her, you all will fight for your rights. Who is with me?" Revati asked, desperately trying to search their eyes for an ounce of support.

Silence.

Tensed silence.

More tensed silence.

Revati's hope crumbled when she saw no one made any positive action and stood still. She could not hear their 'Hail Vaibhavgarh' chants but only one thing. The thing which she had never seen after a ruler's plea in her kingdom. Silence. 

She felt her heart slip and plummet to her stomach. 

Disappointed and broken, she turned away. Have I asked too much of them?

"My queen?" a feeble voice of an elderly woman said, making her turn around. Revati nearly jumped in surprise as her cold, calloused hands took hers tenderly.

 A flower in a cage of branches. "I am with you, I am with my homeland!"

Two other women joined in, the hope on their faces brightening. "We are with you too, Your Majesty."

Seeing this, more women started to agree to the same statement and it wasn't long before a feminine chorus of 'Jay Vaibhavgarh!', 'Jay Maharani Revati!' rose up. Revati was pleasantly surprised and proud of her people. She met Suruchi's approving eyes with her relieved ones that the women didn't back out. She nodded once and left the training procedure to her skilled sister.