Chapter 19 (part two - bonus chapter)

Chapter 19 (part two)

_________________

Revati inhaled.

Although the scent of parchment was soothing, the Queen had begun to dislike it. Twenty-four hours basking in a closed study would be enough to send one fainting, but it did not deter the young queen.

Revati bent her neck to the side, stretching her arms as a loud yawn escaped her lips. "I slept through the night?" she whispered. She wiped the drool off her lips with her saree, rubbing her eyes. She looked at her messy table, annoyed.

I have to clean this up? She groaned, smacking a lazy hand onto her forehead. 

Sharp knocks pierced her ear, the loud sound searing. "What is it?"

"Your Highness, it is me, Maya. Are you alright, milady? You stayed there all night and we were worried."

The vexed creases on her forehead smoothened and she sat up straighter. She cleared her throat, "Come in, Maya Devi."

The old woman entered with a tray with a bowl of lukewarm water and a tumbler of hot, steaming kashaya. She smiled at the woman. "Your mother sent me, Your Highness after hearing that you decided to lock yourself, cooped up in here."

Mother is becoming increasingly considerate nowadays.

"Wash your face and drink this, milady. It will freshen you up for court." She said, laying the tray on her table.

Revati shook her head, saying, "I have canceled all court meetings for today, I have too much to do. I will not leave this room till afternoon, Devi, I can't." She declared before the maid tried to persuade.

She sighed, her wrinkles deepening with her frown. "Very well. What would make you change your mind, Putri? To get out of this stuffy room for a while?" 

"A miracle." She answered, grinning at her.

Another knock startled her. "Come in," she permitted.

Suruchi's head peeked inside a surprised look on her face. "Sorry, couldn't help overhearing your conversation. But fear not Maya Devi, I have a solution for you. And this miracle you might want to see, Your Highness."

* * *

Revati picked up her skirts as she climbed up a few tiled stairs to the balcony overlooking the servants' dining hall. "What is-"

She stopped mid-sentence as she squinted, venturing as close to the scene as could. Her eyebrows shot up, now this was worth getting out of her study. "Has the weather changed, Suruchi? Or is it the climate that has changed?"

"I am unsure, but it sure appears as if the climate has milady."

* * *

"Here you go, Shreeman. Would you like more of the saambaar?" 

The awe-struck man shook his head absently. "No, milord. Thank you, milord." He said and quickly scurried away, not able to wrap his head around the situation.

He smiled after him and at the next person, serving them the hot rice and savory, risqué soup. A few people later, a woman's hand moved, accidentally knocking off the plate and contents, of what he had served, to the ground.

"Kshamyataam, milord," she apologized, but before she could bend down to clean the mess, a hand stopped her.

"Chintaamaaastu, Bhagini. I will do it," the warm voice almost drew the middle-aged woman to tears. 

"Aayushmaan Bhava, Rajkumaraha." She mumbled the blessing and hesitantly walked away, astounded at what just took place.

Dipankar's smile did not waver when he thought back to the negligible incident a few days ago,

He walked down the corridors, not with his head held high, not with pride on his forehead, but with shame and guilt looking unlike himself from months ago.

Clang!

He lifted his head up as he heard a gasp and metal hit the floor. It was a servant, who had dropped his tray and was now gaping at the prince. He hurriedly looked away when their gazes met, picked up the utensils on the floor, and was out of the hall in no time.

Dipankar scoffed at himself, staring down at his hands. "They all hate me and have every reason to do so," he whispered and clenched his jaw. "If only I could reverse time and correct my errors..."

He stood up, walking back to the serving utensil. 

God has bestowed another chance upon me and I shall make sure not to waste it. 

A genuine smile lit up his face as he saw the short queue of servants now increasing rapidly. He picked up the spatula, scooped a handful of rice, and served it to the next person. He poured the saambaar on top of the pile, cautioning the surprised man to hold the plate properly.

"I hope I didn't make it too soupy...?" he asked him. 

"No, lord, it is excellent."

The prince raised an eyebrow at him. "You haven't even tasted it, friend,"

"I-uh, what? I'm sure it must be excellent, lord." He complimented, bowing and moving aside for the next in line to come forth.

And so, Dipankar continued this and helping peasants train day and day until the days turned into two weeks. But he never once felt like giving up as he persistently served his motherland, desperate to help her prosper.

--------------------------------------------------

Glossary: 

Shreeman - sir

Kshamyataam - Apologies/excuse me

Chintaamaastu - Don't worry/no worries

Bhagini - sister

Aayushmaan Bhava - May you live long

---------------------------------------------------