Chapter 18

Early update! :)
___________________

Chapter 18
____________

Her resolve faltered for a moment upon recognizing the unexpected visitor, but she regained her composure. She cleared her throat of any nervousness, or stuffed them down her throat, and spoke. Much firmer, clearer, and in a voice that clearly said, 'business time'. While Suruchi's body language seemed to say, 'you're not welcome here'.

"Speak, messenger of the enemy," she commanded.

"Please, I... I do not come representing him. I come in peace, in hopes of an alliance, in fact. I come to you, sister, as an elder brother who wants to apologize."

His last words hit her hard, but her face didn't disclose it. "So, what do I owe this pleasure, dear brother of mine?" Revati said, the word 'brother' like venom on her tongue.

"Please, please Revat-"

"You have lost all rights to call me that. I am now the unofficial queen of Vaibhavgarh, you are no more than a traitor of the country and brother only in terms of blood relation." The words were acid on her tongue, burning her and burning.

"Alright, my queen. Before you judge me, please hear me out."

"Speak."

His eyes darted to the general and Suruchi. "Alone," he emphasized.

"Absolutely not!" Suruchi lashed out. "He has gladly joined the enemy without sparing a thought about us, how can you be sure that all this not a pretense, my queen? How can you be sure that he will not harm you, Highness?"

"Nobody said that I'm sure, Suruchi. General, please proceed, the royal trainer and I can manage just fine. And call all the guards out along with you."

"But, Your Highne-" the general protested.

"General." Revati nodded at him, a sign of dismissal.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he said dejectedly, before following her instructions.

"It's a wonder to see you have grown into a proper ruler. I never saw this side of you when we were younger."

"Maybe you would if you had paid more attention." She hissed. "Enough with the 'nostalgic' mentions in hopes of gaining my trust!"

Dipankar fell silent. 

"You are a traitor who betrayed your kingdom, your family and broke your people's trust. Do you accept?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Do you know the consequences of treachery? Do you know the punishment for treason against your kingdom?"

"Yes. Death." He whispered.

"Absolutely, so what do you you think I'll do?" Revati studied her nails, looking unimpressed.

"I... I come in hopes of forgiveness, but if you feel death is the adequate punishment for my crime, so be it. Do as you see fit, my queen."

"What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I'm sorry for all that I did, for breaking all your trust, for not supporting my family. I realized my mistake after Roopvalli got me thrown into the prison, acquiring the position for herself. I apprehended that I had been misled by someone I barely knew. Please, forgive me for my sins and accept me back into your life as your elder brother."

"You think I'll forgive the only brother I had, who decided to betray his family, get his father killed, leave his sister to fend for herself, and eventually die in the face of war, so easily?" she asked, her tone harsh and piercing, but not just to him.