Chapter 24

*Trigger warning - some gore, killings, and death

Chapter 24

____________

There she was at the front of the army, mustering together all the confidence she had. The sunlight danced on her face, but she remained unswerving, unblinking at the immense light falling undeviatingly into her eyes. Instead, she welcomed it, absorbing in all of the energy, letting each particle of her existence bask in the warmth.

Gone was the dainty girl, gone was the naiveté, and gone were her high expectations. 

In its place stood a strong woman, a willful ruler, and a valiant patriot of her country. 

Her spine was ramrod straight, her hand loosely set on the hilt of her sword, the other clasping the reins of her horse. Her gaze turned hard at the sight of him, her face a rock-solid mask, her teeth gritted behind her lips that were set in a somber line.

Her hair was pulled back and tied into a tight braid, the materialistic accessories on her hair and body missing, but heavy metal and shining steel adorned her. The metal crown on her head was gone, but she wore the crown of faith, strength, devotion, love, and most importantly her confidence.

A few feet behind her were her trusty comrades. 

Her loyal elder sister, motherly figure, her teacher- Suruchi. 

Her once misguided elder brother, one who understood her and provided support to her in her time of need- Dipankar. 

Her ever-faithful soldier, a trusty advisor, and a patriot of his kingdom- the General.

Behind them stood the rows of men and women alike with bravery that lined their faces, with faith and determination marked on their foreheads, were her loyal subjects. The people of the kingdom.

And behind them all, stood the strong, regal stone walls of the age-old fort, who stood firm through the years of thick and thin providing them protection.

The fire of her warm gaze clashed fiercely with the icy coldness of his stare. 

She took a deep breath as she assessed that mocking sneer, that dangerous frame, that rough and tough demeanor, and the arrogance that oozed of him. And she only swallowed.

* * *

His eyes scanned the small army in front of him. He spotted men and women - he scoffed - lined behind her, dressed as soldiers with weapons in their hands. Children and the elderly- children!? were up the high fortified walls of the kingdom with, he squinted, armed with mere bows, arrows, and slingshots.

Where did they get their weapons from? I had ordered them to take away it all when we were departing that day. 

Oh, those puny imbeciles will pay when I get back! They cannot even carry out simple tasks. Fools. He cursed, nose scrunching in annoyance.

But that was not the case. 

A contented smirk pulled at Revati's lips when she saw him scan the fortress and scrunch up his nose in annoyance at the sight of children carrying weapons. She knew he was vexed at his men for not executing his plan properly. 

The flashes of the masterstroke she had taken sent a surge of confidence up her spine.

She sat in her chair, elbows propped on the desk, head in her hands. "Revati, what is it that is upsetting you?" Suruchi's voice had her raising her head.

She pinched the bridge of her nose and let out a stressed sigh. "We have very few weapons now that he had confiscated nearly all of them. Suruchi, only the soldiers have a few weapons. What will the rest of the army fight with?