Chapter 23 + bonus scene

____________

She was up before sunrays touched land.

Not without a dreadful feeling of what was to come the day. But as the brave woman she was, she didn't show it. She quickly bathed got dressed and ran up to the one place where she found solace. Her feet ran down the stairs and into the valley.

The sun was yet to grace her with his smile, birds were to sing to her and the wind to greet her. She crouched down by the lake. Her hands cupped the clear water, her mouth savoring its coolness.

She picked crimson flowers and blossoms as bright as flame on her way back to the temple. She placed them on the idol of the goddess, murmuring, "Bless us, one who is our protector. Bless us, one who is our savior. Give strength to our body, give strength to our mind. And give strength to our soul. O' great Devi, we bow to you!"

She finally showered the flowers at the feet of the idol. She then lowered herself onto the basalt floor in front of the temple, her knees facing the goddess, heels supporting her seat, forehead pressed to the ground, her eyes closed and palms joined together. She came up and relaxed into the Sukhasana position falling into a peaceful meditation.

She let out soft exhales, barely breathing in. She poured all of her thoughts, wishes, regrets, and joys into what could be her last peaceful hour. Silent tears flew down her cheeks as she recounted her fondest and worst memories. She remembered how this morning, though the same was so very different. It held the same actions that she did these past months, but the feeling... the feeling was something entirely different. 

It felt like goodbye.

She decided to focus on her surroundings this time instead of dwelling on past memories. She could hear the birds chirping, taste the fresh water on her tongue, see the dark endless universe, smell the fragrant flowers, and feel the calm breeze. 

Her eyes fluttered open after what felt like hours. She was up on her feet and in the palace. How she got there seemed a blur to her. She donned her armor, strapping in the daggers and tying a sword to her waist.

She went up the highest tower to her mother's chambers and sought her blessings. The Queen Mother did not speak, she did not cry. She smiled and blessed her daughter, her eyes predicting her daughter's victory. And that was more than enough for the princess. Although, she was highly unsure of their victory.

Her feet carried her to the throne room where she knelt at the foot of the throne, her head lowered in respect to the sword and the crown. "Bless me, Father. I know you're still with me even if not physically. I will not fail you. If I do..." her voice cracked, "I'm not worthy enough to be your daughter." She blinked away her tears, walking away from the room without a glance back.

Her eyes fell on the warriors in the hall. The general, ministers, courtiers, village heads, women in charge, and her fellow people. Their hopeful, determined, nervous, grim faces. Hopeful of their fate in the queen's hands. Determined to win against their enemy. Nervous to go out into battle. Grim, because they knew that death could be their ultimate fate.

"Revati?" Suruchi approached her with Dipankar, both clad in armor, prepared for war. "Are you ready?"

No! I don't want to lead my people to their pyres!  She swallowed back the scream, forcing a blank expression on her face that hid her anticipation, she replied what she had to as a queen.

She gulped. "Yes."

* * *

The men slashed at the thorns to make way for their ruler as they moved frontwards. The general stepped forward.