Prologue

~~~~~~~~~
Prologue
~~~~~~~~~

She awoke from her slumber with a start.

Whether it was because of the roar of the storm or the loud knocks at her door, she did not know. But she did snap back into her senses quick enough. Her feet shuffled, her anklets echoing faint jingles as she moved to the oak doors, the warm glow of her lantern embracing the dark, marbled floors. Her fingers tentatively held onto the handles and pulled the doors open.

It was a man. A man with a wider build and a taller frame than her. Her husband. She brought the lantern further in front of her to see him more clearly. 

His rectangular face was marred with lines of worry, eyes bloodshot, and stance uncertain. Perspiration beaded his forehead, his neatly groomed mustache now a bind of waxed ropes. His chest heaved with ragged intakes of air, each particle in his body screaming panic.

"Swami?" her soft voice a cooling breeze over the shaken man. "You could've sent for me, I've would've come. Why did you take up unnecessary trouble to come up here yourself?"

"Apologies, for breaking your sleep at this ungodly hour of the night, but some- something requires our immediate attention," he said, his voice teetering in between his speech. "This way, to the court hall."

"Yes, of course, Swami." Her expression rippled into one of concern as she walked behind in his staggering footfalls. Her pulse quickened with each step she took. The prickly embellished borders of her saree whispered over her feet. Her anklets bit gently 'round the sides of her ankle in worry.  She could hear her husband's heavy breathing even through the clashes of thunder and the steady fall of the rain. 

What could it be, that needs our immediate attention? I fervently hope it is no threat to us. She prayed mentally, worrying her lower lip.

The sculpted ceilings, walls studded with gold, lavish embellishments that were always greeted by the couple were now only welcomed by the dark. Something clenched at his heart and something clenched at her heart too. But it was not the same.

The woman shuddered, not because of the cold winds but because of an ominous chill that swallowed her body. She peered over his shoulder as he opened the great doors to a hall. She awaited the worst as terror brewed in the pit of her belly. Perhaps a messenger with a life-threatening message? An informant with the news of war?

Her walk to the royal court hall was through a turbulent sea, but when she stepped in, the tidal waves seemed to fall back down in a gentle sway. But why did it not promise stability? 

There stood a lone figure with a bundle in her arms. The couple strode in and the wife's brows drew together in mere curiosity, not anticipation as she had expected.

The husband stood beside her, his restless gaze everywhere except the two women. The wife frowned, studying the shadows of her cheekbones from afar. "You seem familiar..."

"I-I was your handmaid from a few months ago, my lady." Her voice quivered- a helpless leaf caught in the wind that clung to its branch in desperation.

"Ah, yes." The wife's face broke out into a faint smile, her lips curving upwards. "As I recall, you went back to your village to take care of your mother. I hope she is faring well? What brings you here?"

The maid stuttered, struggling and failing to force the situation into words. Something submissive flashed through her eyes. Was it regret? The queen's eyes widened when she saw the frail, delicate young one in her arms. The infant's thick lashes rested on soft cheeks, the rest of the body wrapped in a linen blanket.