Chapter 27 + bonus scene at the end

Chapter 27 
___________

They arrived there once the Rajyābhishekha was done and she had been crowned queen lawfully. It had been a secluded and quick process as she only needed the power of a queen to crown Vaishaktinagara's new ruler or regent. There was to be a bigger coronation ceremony open to all when they got back.

The palace was huge and beautiful. More so when they entered. Silky drapes hung down the walls, the glinting gold decor was everywhere they turned, the carvings on the ceilings were marvelous and the view from the high towers, breathtaking. The castle looked as if it had been submerged in gold and risen, and the waves of light cascading down upon it.

But as she looked closely through the window, Revati focused her gaze on the dark patch of land. She gasped, the sound barely audible. 

It was the kingdom, the people's houses outside the fort. She couldn't see everything, but the queen could clearly make out that the cities were in poor condition and nothing was done to ensure the citizens' safety or comfort. Then she looked back inside to the grandeur. Sure, Ballaraja was very devoted and wanted the best for his family, but he clearly didn't want the same for his people.

Her eyebrows pulled together in disappointment. Anyone would expect such a wealthy ruler to have content people, but no. The late Senapati was right, the only ones with a life of comfort are the rich classes, ministers, courtiers, army nayakas, and military officers. The middle class's condition was not too bad, but even slightly lower ones had to struggle.

The sound of heavy footsteps broke Revati from her reverie. She turned to see an elderly officer of some sort stand before the trio. She faced him and nodded as the herald presented her. He bowed to them. He was a seemingly well-built man with a bushy silver mustache and a light dusting of a beard on his unnoticeable double chin.

"Your Majesty, your presence is greatly honorable and I, Officer Muniraja, humbly welcome you to the palace. The royal family is present in the darbar and would like to officially welcome you. Please, this way Your Highness."

He led them to a vast room that looked, you must have guessed by now, utterly rich and drenched in gold? Yes. Though not as much. Most things were kept minimal as this was a formal hall.

Her stomach did a nervous flip when her eyes landed on the two familiar women clad in white. Though they were dressed in white, their sarees did not miss the touch of luxury, a zari border did not fail to line the edges. 

Their faces no more held the facade of arrogance or superiority when she had last met them. In fact, she could see grief, respect for her, and probably... regret, swimming in the two pairs of pools.

They clasped their hands in a namaskara as she reciprocated the same. Queen Neelambika strode forward by a few steps. She was much shorter and a little plumper than the other wife. A mole sat on her right cheek. "We welcome you to our palace, valiant ruler of Vaibhavgarh. Rajkumaraha Dipankar and Royal Trainer." They nodded at the duo positioned on either side of their sister.

"Thank you," Although her expression was friendly, her behavior and tone were still formal. 

"Please do take a seat." They gestured towards the pairs of chairs on either side of the table.

Revati knew this would be an awkward conversation, to say the least, but was the first to break the silence after they settled into their places. "Our condolences for the demise of your husband and king."

"I... we don't know what to say. It is a highly admirable action of yours to step into our kingdom, which you could have claimed as your own, but instead chose to proclaim a ruler for the vacant ruling position."