Chapter 13

☣☣☣
2012: 14 years old

It was a beautiful day out today. School had just ended and summer was here. It wasn’t exactly my favorite season of the year, but I loved the nice long break from school, my Hell. Socially anyway.

Practically every day of our summer vacation, I was with Avery. We actually go on vacation a lot together which we were leaving for soon. My mom and I usually go with Avery, her parents, and three brothers. I don’t know why, but rich people always seem to have a lot of kids.

Anyway, this year we were going to California. We’re going to San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. I’m especially excited about San Diego because they have an awesome zoo which I haven’t been to in forever and Sea World! Last year we went to Florida. Yeah, I know. Big change. They’re all the way across the country from each other.

Generally before we go on big trips like that, my mom wants to get a few things done. We always go shopping to get anything useful for a trip, like snacks and travel sized things. Then we spend practically a whole day packing because we’re always messing around in the excitement. My mom also likes us to help her clean. I don’t know why, though, because dust is just going to collect over the time that we’re gone. She’s just a neat freak, I guess.

So, today was packing day. Fun! It was probably my favorite pre-trip thing. Don’t get me wrong, I love shopping. I just love the buzz of anxious excitement you get when it’s a beautiful day, and you’re packing for an amazing trip. Obviously, Avery was always over helping my mom and me pack. I usually help her pack before because her family does packing day on the same day as we do.

It was about ten in the morning, and we were in my room. We were trying to decide what clothes I should bring. I felt that something was missing, though. Something about the setting that would complement the mood nicely.

“It’s too quiet.” I muttered to Avery, crossing to the other side of my room and poking my head out the door. “Mom?” I called. She should be in the kitchen right now, getting our snacks situated.

“On it!” She called back. That’s the kind of relationship we have. I didn’t even have to tell her what I wanted, and she knew. Soon our sound system was blaring music through the house. It was loud enough to where we could hear it pretty well but not too loud to where we had to scream to talk.

The first song that came on was “Rock of Ages” by Def Leppard. The beginning of the song was unmistakable. As soon as the drum beat started, Avery and I started banging our heads in the air, following it.

‘All right!’ I heard my mom sing downstairs. We laughed and ran to the top of the stairs. Then, in unison, we shouted down, ‘I got something to say!’ I saw my mom come into view as the guitar started playing. She was making her way upstairs while playing the air guitar.

We laughed and ran back to my room. Avery leaned up against the wall and also started playing the air guitar. I flopped down on my bed, lying on my back, and began playing air drums. Seconds later, my mom entered the room. Now, instead of air guitar, she was holding a shoe as a microphone.

‘Rise up! Gather round,                                                                                            
Rock this place to the ground,                                         

Burn it up, let’s go for broke,                                      

Watch the night go up in smoke!’