Chapter 22

☣☣☣

'Well, he's no use to me now.'

3 hours of useless attempts at sleep.

So many things were going through my head that sleep was virtually impossible. I kept replaying the scene with the demon over and over in my head, wishing that there was something I could have done. Anything.

I tried distracting myself by exploring the room. My room. But to no avail. The previously unoccupied bedroom was decorated about as much as a field of grass. I basically memorized every square inch of the room, from the dust bunnies behind the furniture, to the thin cracks in the old wood of the bed, to the chipped paint on certain areas of the walls.

I just kept hearing the deafening crack of Damon's spine and seeing the light leave his beautiful blue eyes. I couldn't escape it. There was no forgiving and no forgetting. Sure, I'll do anything in my power to make that demon pay for what he did, but he wasn't the only one at fault.

I closed my eyes, shaking my head vigorously. I needed to stop thinking about this. I needed something else to distract me. Anything.

I swung my legs off of the bed, planting my feet on the ground. In my socks, I padded softly to the door and opened it slowly, peeking out into the dark and ominous hallway. I gazed the length of the hallway, stopping on Dean's door directly across from mine.

I silently inched out of my room and across the hall, biting my lip as I contemplated entering his room. I raised my fist to knock on the door when I heard a soft snore coming from the other side.

I let my hand fall back to my side, deciding against waking him up. Knowing the life he leads, he needed the sleep. I, apparently, didn't.

I'd just have to occupy myself.

Using the wall as a guide, I made my through the hallway, which eventually opened up into the library. Nearly all of the lights were turned off, except for a lone lamp on the end of the tables. Next to that lamp was a sleeping Kevin.

I moved closer, admiring how peaceful he looked as he slept. He had clearly worked himself hard enough that he fell asleep right on top of his research. He didn't look stressed or awkward or worried. He just looked like... well, Kevin. Adorable.

No, stop thinking like that, it's too soon.

He's really sweet, though...

So was Damon.

No, I deserve to be happy. Damon would want that, right?

But it's your fault he died.

I sighed, gritting my teeth. The inner conflict I was having with myself was not the distraction I needed. It was almost worse than any nightmare my brain could create. Instead of focusing on the Asian boy in front of me, I focused on the papers scattered about the table.

I squinted my eyes, having trouble reading the small symbols with phrases next to them that had no meaning to me. The dim lighting wasn't helping, either.

"Hard worker, isn't he?" A tired voice said from behind me. I spun around, meeting Sam's eyes. I did several things at once. I gasped, nearly fell backwards into the table, and blushed. How long had he been standing there? Did he see me staring at Kevin? Was I in trouble?

The two brothers seemed cool enough, but I wasn't sure what it would be like living with them. Did they get mad easily? I didn't think roaming around the Bunker at night was something to be angry about, but you never know.