Chapter 6

☣☣☣
Present Day

I finished eating my dinner, alone like always. Mom had ordered me some pizza but then immediately retreated to the living room when it got here. I never saw her grab a slice and didn't know if she wanted one, but I left her two anyway.

I walked upstairs to my room for the night. I usually hung out in my room until I decided to go to sleep. I usually stayed up pretty late, sometimes not going to sleep at all. The whole freaky thing about not sleeping but still not being tired, really helped me out. I didn't like going to bed early so I didn't have to worry about being tired for school. Plus, it helped if I had to stay up late doing homework.

I didn't even bother to change out of my clothes or take off my boots. I just grabbed my headphones and flopped onto my bed. My actual bed, not the one by the window. I started my playlist, putting it on shuffle, and the first song that came up was 'Angel with a Shotgun' by The Cab. My favorite song.

I turned it up and placed my phone on my stomach, laying my head back and closing my eyes. Sometimes I liked to sing along, but other times I just liked to relax and listen. Once the song was almost finished, I felt my phone vibrate against my stomach and heard a 'ding, ding' in my ear.

I sighed. I had barely listened to one song and Avery was already calling me. Only when I looked at the screen, it wasn't Avery's number that came up. I didn't recognize the number and debated whether I should answer it or not. It was a cell phone so unless I was on the line for a while, they couldn't track it. I decided to just answer it, silencing the music.

"Hello?" I answered cautiously.

"Skylar? I was afraid you weren't gonna answer." A cute, familiar voice replied. I'd know it anywhere

"Damon." I breathed, nearly speechless. "How'd you get my number?"

"Oh, your friend Avery gave it to me. She's a bit hyperactive, isn't she?" I could hear the laugh in his voice at his comment about Avery. I wanted to laugh too but I couldn't.

"So you're calling because Avery asked you to." I said, disappointed but not really surprised. It was more of a statement than a question.

"What? No, not at all! I asked her for your number."

"Why?" Now I was surprised. I wasn't expecting that.

"I heard it was your birthday tomorrow, and I wanted to take you to a movie. Just the two of us."

"What, did your friends dare you to do this or something? Is this supposed to be some hilarious prank on the freak show of the school?" I asked, my voice suddenly cold as ice.

"What? No!" He sounded offended. "No, Sky, believe me its not. And in my opinion, you don't deserve all that crap they give you."

I tried not to smile at the fact he called me Sky. Only the people I was closest to called me that. I still wasn't buying what he was selling. "So I'm a pity case?"

He sighed. "No, Sky. I'm asking because I like you. Its why I broke up with McKenzie. For you." I could hear the genuine happiness in his voice when he said 'I like you.' I could tell he wasn't lying now.

I smiled. So Avery was right. "Really?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, really. So, what do you say, Sky? Will you go on a date with me?"

I nodded, then realized he couldn't see me. "Yes." I heard him sigh in joyous relief. "But I'm hanging out with Avery tomorrow afternoon, so does tomorrow night work?"

"Yeah, of course!"

"Great!"

"I'll see you then, Sky Ward." I could almost sense him winking at me, even though we were on the phone. The receiver clicked and my music started playing again. I placed my phone over my chest, closing my eyes and smiling. This would be the best birthday ever. I never thought this day would come.

I picked up my phone again and found my text conversation with Avery. 'Goin' on a date with Damon tomorrow night! WOOH!' I texted. About ten seconds later I got a text back saying, 'I TOLD YOU SO!' Obviously, she was referring to the fact that she kept trying to tell me that Damon dumped McKenzie for me. Then another message followed saying, 'You're welcome, btw.' I smiled, putting my phone back down.

My seventeenth birthday was actually going to be awesome.

☣☣☣

Hey guys! So, I hope you liked this chapter! I definitely enjoyed writing it. It probably won't be long before I update again because the action is about to start! So yaaaayyy!! :)

And I just realized that this kind of happened to me. Not the call but a guy at school breaking up with someone for me. And her name was McKenzie. So haha, I guess most of Sky's "normal" life is kinda based off of mine. xD

So, anyway, don't forget to comment, vote, fan, and all that other good stuff! Until the next update...

~~Sky~~