Chapter 1

☣☣☣

"Skylar, come on! You're gonna be late for school!" My mom shouted from downstairs. I sighed, throwing my arms down at my sides. It was like this pretty much every morning.

I got up from the small bed I had by my window. It was one of those giant cubby type of things. Every morning before school, I liked to lay down in front of the open window, in the sunshine, listening to music. Its one of the ways I like to relax.

I put my hand out in front of me and leaned against the window, feeling the cool autumn breeze one last time before closing it. I turned around and grabbed my backpack, which had been sitting next to my TV. I grabbed my favorite leather jacket off of my bed and left my room, closing the door behind me.

I pulled my headphones out as I walked downstairs. I unplugged them from my phone and stuffed them in the side pocket of my backpack. I arrived downstairs in the living room and turned in to the kitchen, where my mom was cleaning the stove.

I dropped my bag by the countertop and sat down in front of a plate of bacon and toast. "Morning, mom." I greeted her, picking up a piece of bacon and taking a bite. She turned around and smiled, walking behind me and placing a kiss on top of my head before saying, "Morning, baby."

She walked back over to the stove. "How's your breakfast?" She asked. I rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see. "Disgusting." I replied teasingly. She chuckled. I took a big bite out of my toast. I noticed that the sink was empty except for the pan my mom used to cook the bacon.

"Not hungry?" I asked. I don't know why I asked though. I've been asking my whole life but have never gotten an answer. She showed no signs of having heard me. "Mom?"

"You need to eat. You're gonna be late for school." She replied without turning around, ignoring my question. I just shrugged it off like I always do, finishing another strip of bacon.

"I don't understand why I even need to go to school. I'm smarter than every ass clown in that place." My mom chuckled. Yeah, it was pretty funny. I think that's one of the reasons people at school hate me so much. They're jealous because I'm smarter than them. Hell, I've even corrected the teachers a few times.

"We've been over this." She answered in her mom voice. "You are still a teenage girl who's almost seventeen and you need to go to school. Besides, don't you wanna go to college and get a good job?" I sighed.

"Yeah, but its not gonna make a difference. People are still gonna treat me differently." I finished my toast and just kind of played with the last strip of bacon on my plate.

"Since when has that ever stopped Skylar Ward?" She asked. I smiled. She was right, of course. I never let anything get in my way. If I'm set on something, that's it. No snobby ass, know-it-all bîtch would stop me from getting what I really wanted. "And you still have Avery by your side. You two could cause a storm together."

I laughed. "No, Avery can cause a storm perfectly well on her own. Hell, she has caused a storm." My mom chuckled, nodding her head in agreement. Avery was pretty much my crazy best friend. She doesn't care what anyone thinks of her and does her own thing. I don't know what I would do without her.

I picked up my empty plate and placed it in the sink. I slipped on my jacket then grabbed my bag, slinging it over my shoulder. "Alright, bye mom. Don't wanna be late!" She gave me a look as I gave her a quick hug and pecked her lightly on the cheek. "Bye, baby."

I walked out to the garage where my bike was parked. This was another reason people thought I was different. I don't have that perfect porsche like all the popular girls. I preferred my motorcycle. A Harley Davidson. I pulled my helmet over my head and sat on the smooth, leather seat.

I started her up and pulled on the gas a few times just to listen to her purr. Then I took her out of park and zoomed out of the garage, which was automatically closing behind me. I turned onto my street and sped off to that torture place they call school.

The best thing about riding a motorcycle was the open air, the wind blowing against you. I would never get tired of that.

☣☣☣