Chapter 14

☣☣☣
Present Day

It was about two hours into the car ride to Kansas. Sam and Dean had already swapped places so Dean could take a nap since he was up half of the night talking to me. I, for one, was going to try staying up for as long as possible. I knew for a fact that I could go at least three days without sleep.

It was mostly quiet in the car, the only sound being the music that was turned way down and Dean's soft snores. "You know, I think you've really changed things... for the better. Especially for Dean." Sam spoke up. It didn't startle me, I just wasn't expecting it. I hadn't really talked that much to Sam since we met last night. Only Dean.

"What makes you say that?" I asked. He shrugged. "Intuition? I can't really say. I just feel it."

"I seriously doubt I've changed anything. Dean didn't even know I existed until last night." I said, not really caring much for this conversation, but Sam kept talking.

"But you're not just some random kid." I flinched a bit at the word 'kid.' I was about to be an adult, and I hated being called a kid. He either ignored me or didn't notice. "You're his daughter. You're family now, and he has something to fight for."

I rolled my eyes, but quickly felt bad because he basically just said that Dean doesn't care about him. Now, I know that's not true. "He has you."

"Pfft. We've been through this our whole lives. He's probably tired of saving his little brother's ass so much."

I didn't know them very well, but what he said still shocked me. "Are you crazy?! That's like an older sibling's favorite thing to do, besides teasing their younger sibling. Of course Dean is always going to want to save your ass. He'll always have your back, too."

He just chuckled. "I guess you have a point. Anyway, now he has two things to fight for."

"Why would he want to fight for a daughter he doesn't even know?"

"Let me tell you a story that I know Dean didn't tell you last night. He had a family once, and he was happy. He had a girlfriend, Lisa and her son, Ben. Practically the moment he met Ben, he knew he was going to like the kid. Ben was so much like him that Dean thought he was his. He immediaely felt the need to help him out and protect him. Even after he found out Ben wasn't his, he loved him like his own son. Eventually, for Ben and Lisa's safety, he had to let them go."

"So, what makes you think he won't have to let me go?" I asked, disbelief obvious in my voice.

"Simple. You lost your mother, and you came to him so he feels like your his responsibility. You were practically born into this life. Ben still has his mother, and they lived a mostly normal life before Dean." I didn't question the 'mostly normal' part.

I sighed. "So, you really think this will work out?"

"I know it will, Skylar." I kind of felt a little better. Until a couple of hours later.

Dean was awake and back in front of the wheel. Sam was awake too so the music was turned up. I was insanely bored, tired of staring out the window. Normally, I would have been playing on my phone, but it died last night, and I didn't have my charger. There was no way I was going back to my house... Not now anyway.

I sighed, picking up my bag, which I had taken out of the trunk, to dig through it. There had to be something in here for me to at least attempt to play with. I could only sit there and listen to music for so long. 

As I was digging, I hit a stroke of luck. Somehow, my portable charger had ended up in here. Maybe I had left it in there from whenever the last time was I used this bag. It wasn't any luxurious, super cool charger or anything. It was a crappy ten dollar thing I got from Wal-Mart, but it worked.