Chapter 3

☣☣☣
Present Day

I pulled up in the parking lot of White Chapel High. Yeah, it might sound like some fancy, private, religious school but believe me when I say that its pretty far from it. I drove around all the cars until I found the spot I always parked. It was next to the bicycle rack but behind some bushes. I didn't like having it out in the open.

I parked the bike and got off, pulling off my helmet. "Hey, Ward! Enjoy panting in the wind?" The comment came from some dïck that I didn't know the name of. He and his friends starting laughing as soon as he said it. They always said things like that when I got to school. They always had some dog joke about the fact that I like the open air.

I ignored the comment and just walked past them into the front doors. The bell still hadn't rung so I had time to go to my locker. My first class was French which was the perfect way to start the day. I absolutely loved going to French class.

I made my way to my locker and put in the combination. I reached for my French book when I heard something. Actually someone. A very annoying popular someone. "Excuse me?" McKenzie asked in a high pitched voice. "You did not just say that!"

I glanced her way, trying not to make it obvious that I was watching. Although it wouldn't matter because now everyone was watching. "I'm sorry, Kenz, its just not working." That was Damon. Damon Reed. McKenzie's boyfriend. Though, by the sound of it, not anymore.

I don't exactly know how to describe Damon. He's a jock but he's not a jock. If that made any sense. Most jocks are real dïcks. They date the popular girls, get around by bullying the low-life kids of the school. Damon wasn't like that though. I don't know, he was just different. Nice. We actually used to be friends, but that changed, not that I'm surprised. He still tried to talk to me occasionally, but I usually just ignored him.

To tell the truth though, I've had a huge crush on him since the fifth grade. Of course, Avery is the only one that knows it because she's my only friend. I never really felt the need to tell anyone else, such as my mom because nothing could or would ever happen. He had always been with McKenzie. Though, I never understood why. He's too good for her.

I guess he's just now realizing it. "Damon Reed, you do not break up with me! Not me! No one dumps me!" She shouted in that annoying popular girl voice. McKenzie was actually my worst enemy of the school. I don't know why but she was just always more of a bully than everyone else. I never let her get to me though.

"Well I hate to tell you, Kenz, but you've been dumped." Damon said with a smirk. McKenzie glared at him, her arms crossed. "Ugh. Girls!" She snapped her fingers and stalked off, her little entourage following close behind. I could see that they were trying to comfort her like good friends but she just pushed them away, like a horrible friend. Like a horrible person.

I realized I had been staring, and it looked like I was staring at Damon. When I went to look away, my eyes met with his. He smiled and winked. I quickly grabbed my books and closed my locker, turning around. There's no way Damon Reed just winked at me. Why me? No, he didn't. I just imagined it.

I tried to convince myself that I had imagined it but the image of him winking kept inching its way back it. As I turned the corner to go to class, I saw out of the corner of my eye that Damon was still standing there. Not only that, he looked confused and a slight bit hurt. I shrugged it off. I had to be imagining things.

I turned to walk into my French class, only to bump right into Avery. "Woah, there, speedy. Can you walk any faster?" I smiled and she chuckled. I followed her into the empty classroom and sat down in my seat. I was pretty much in the middle of the second row by the window. Avery sat in the back of the first row but every morning she sat in front of me, waiting for the bell to ring.

"So, did you hear?" She asked excitedly.

"What?" I asked, not even thinking. I pulled my notebook out of my bag and placed it on the desk with my French book. Avery sighed, annoyed. "Damon broke up with McKenzie!"

"And this concerns me because...?"

She hit me lightly on the shoulder. "Rumor has it that he broke up with her for someone else." She gave me that expectant look, waiting for me to catch on.

"No." I simply said. Her face fell. "Av, there's no way its me. Why would someone like Damon want me?" I opened my notebook to where I left my pen and started doodling. Avery placed her hand over mine, stopping me and making me look at her.

"Maybe because you're smart? And nice? And fuuunn!" She drew out the word 'fun.' I faked a laugh and forced myself to smile. "You seem to be the only one here that knows that."

"Maybe Damon does too! I mean, he has tried talking to you in which you so rudely ignored him."

"I ignore him because I know he doesn't care. I'm just another pity case." I gently pushed her hand away so I could start doodling again.

"You know you're impossible, right Sky?" She asked as the bell rang. I chuckled, not answering. She grabbed her stuff and made her way to the back of the room as it started filling up with students. McKenzie walked in and took her seat behind me. Yup, the cliché 'Popular girl sits behind non-popular girl that she hates.'

Then Damon walked in. Crap. I forgot he was in this class. How could I forget? He didn't seem to notice me which I was used to. I felt a hard tap on my shoulder then turned to face McKenzie. She glared at me. "Don't even think about it, sweet cheeks. He's mine."

Suddenly, something in me snapped. "Oh really? Well, Damon didn't seem to get the message so do you have some kind a devious plan to make sure he's never happy, or what?" She looked shocked and angry at my outburst.

"How dare you, Skylar Ward. You don't talk to me like that, you freak."

"Oh yeah? Why don't you make me?"

"You might as well just stop right now or I swear I-" She was cut off by a sudden fit of choking. She put her hands to her neck, gasping for air. She shot me the evil eye like I was doing this to her. I don't know how though considering my hands weren't even touching her.

"Alright class!" I quickly turned around to face the teacher. As soon as I looked away, I heard McKenzie gasp loudly, finally sucking in air. She was breathing hard now. I felt like I could hear her heart beat. I don't know if I was just imagining it or if that was my heartbeat I heard.

"What the hell did you just do to me?" She whispered harshly in my ear. I turned my head slightly so she could hear me. "Me? How could I have possibly done that?"

"I don't know, with your freaky little mind." She whispered before leaning back in her seat. I rolled my eyes, turning my attention back to the teacher only to be interrupted again by a paper airplane landing perfectly in front of me.

I turned around to face Avery, and she motioned for me to read it. I sighed, placing the letter in my lap and unfolding it quietly.

'What the hell was that? Your eyes just freaking flashed and then McKenzie started choking to death on freaking air. E X P L A I N.'

I sucked in a big breath, letting it out before crumpling the note into a ball and stuffing it in my bag. I could deal with this later. I don't know what the hell just happened, but I wasn't going to try figuring it out now, during my favorite class.

Once again I turned my attention back to the teacher who was explaining the proper ways to say family members' names in French. Usually during class, I would feel a poke and a prod every once in a while from McKenzie, but I guess the whole episode that just happened freaked her out a bit. I smiled to myself, even though I had no idea how that happened.

☣☣☣