Kissing for the algorithm (KuguShiba)

~Imagine being able to name fics well. Could never be me. Anyway, this fic was for day one of KuguShiba week. The prompt was influencer au so I made them youtubers. Shibayama is a makeup guru and Kuguri is a twitch streamer. Also, they're college roommates. Hope you like it!~

"And I'll see you all next time...peace!" Shibayama flashed a peace sign at the camera before ending the recording. A small sigh of relief escaped his lips. "Thank god it's over..." He'd been recording this stupid makeup look for about three hours now and the urge to wipe it all off, get into bed and binge anime for the rest of the day had kicked in within the first half hour. Thing is, now that he'd actually completed it the urge had gone away. He gazed at himself in the mirror, turning his head from side to side. He had to admit, he looked pretty damn good. He was getting quite good at this makeup malarkey but almost two years of making videos doing it will do that to you.

Shibayama had started doing makeup back in high school. Not because he took an interest in it, because the boys at school kept calling him ugly and he got insecure about his face so he nicked some of his little sister's makeup to cover it up. After a little while, he started experimenting with more of it. He watched tutorials and got advice from his mother and sister and ended up with a basic understanding of how to do makeup. He decided that it was kind of fun and kept practicing and eventually he got really good.

It was Inuoka who suggested that he start a YouTube channel. At first, Shibayama wasn't too hot on the idea. He could barely make conversation with actual people face to face so how the hell was he supposed to talk to himself in from of a literal camera and upload it for anyone to see? It just seemed like a terrible idea but, at the same time, he had nothing better to do with his time so, he thought, he might he might as well give it a go. Besides, if shit really hit the fan he could just delete his channel, change his names, move countries and be done with it because if anyone from his school ever found his shit show of a channel his entire school career would be over.

So he posted his first video. It didn't blow up by any means but it got a couple of views. Looking back on that video now, he hates the way he acted in it. He was awkward throughout the whole thing and there were lots of awkward pauses and long periods of him doing his makeup in silence which he either forgot or didn't think it mattered enough to edit them out. But even so, he remembered having a lot of fun making that first video so he kept it up for the memories. Because he had fun with it, he started uploading more and more. It was just a hobby for him. He liked doing makeup and he didn't have anything else to do with his time other than, what, study? It wasn't like he was going to blow up anyway...

But he did blow up, pretty damn quickly actually in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't even anything that special that got him attention. It was Halloween and he'd been invited to a small get-together of friends but they were all dressing up anyway. He didn't really have much money to buy an actual costume so he just wore jeans and a hoodie and did his makeup like the purge masks. Personally he didn't think it was that good but he filmed it and had a laugh while doing it. He uploaded it just before he went to the get together and by the time he got back, the damn thing had exploded. He'd gained like 5000 followers in the span of two hours and looking back on it, that really wasn't a lot in the grand scheme of things but when he first found out it was absolutely wild.

His channel only kept growing from there. Nowadays he has about two million subscribers and he has no idea what the hype is. People only seem to watch him because 'cute Asian boy does makeup' and there's got to be other, more interesting people to watch who do the exact same thing as him but he wasn't complaining. While he didn't know them all by name anymore, every one of his viewers meant a lot to him and he didn't know what he'd do without them. They gave him so much confidence and serotonin and he didn't regret his decision to start a channel, not one bit.