A cold drink on the cold balcony (KageHina)

~Yes I am aware that I haven't updated this book in a while, I'm sorry. I got an AO3 account and I've mostly been uploading my oneshots over there. My AO3 has the same name as my wattpad, just in case you wanted to check it out. But yeah, I haven't updated this in two months so I'll just be uploading my KageHina week entries that went up over there. This is day one and the prompt was first meeting. It's an au where Kageyama went to Aoba Johsai instead of Karasuno and Kageyama and Hinata have never met. Also Kageyama doesn't get to play in games much because of Oikawa so he's never seen him in a game either. Enjoy.~

To say that Kageyama did not want to be at this party was the understatement of the century. He'd much rather be at home studying for his midterms and that said a lot. Did he have a choice in the matter though? No, he absolutely did not because the other first years on Aoba Johsai's volleyball team had decided that it was a great idea to drag him here even though none of them liked him and they were guaranteed to have a better time without him there. Thinking about it that perfectly explained to him why they abandoned him the moment they walked through the doors. Oh well, he didn't need Kunimi and Kindaichi around to get through this. It's not like the booming pop music, that he'd never listened to before and wasn't planning on it ever again, was making his head throb uncontrollably and the dim lighting with occasional strobes was seeping into his brain, making him feel like he was going to be sick. The rate of his breathing had been gradually increasing since he entered the party; he'd only been in there for twenty minutes maximum and he already felt like he was going to pass out from a lack of oxygen any second now. Were the walls really closing in on him or was that just his imagination?

Jesus, he really needed a drink right now; maybe that would stop him from feeling so tense. You weren't supposed to feel tense at parties, right? He walked over to a nearby table, making sure to stay clear of anyone walking by as he didn't want to accidentally start a fight right now, and poured himself a drink, raising the cup to his lips and taking the first sip. He never remembered alcohol tasting this bitter but, mind you, it had been a hot minute since he last drank. Did he care about how it tasted? Of course he didn't, he just needed to get it into his system and hopefully not throw it straight back up; with the way his stomach was feeling right now he had to consider throwing up as a possibility.

Maybe he should finish his drink outside so he could, you know, get some air. He made his way to the balcony door, noticing along the way quite how nice this house was, whoever owned this house was clearly very rich. They probably had the type of parents who let them get away with murder. If Kageyama ever threw a party like this, not that he would, his parents would maim the shit out of him the second they saw the house. He opened the door, taking in a breath of the air. It felt good to get some air that wasn't contaminated by the collective alcohol breath of a room full of drunk high school students in his lungs. He leaned against the brick wall and took a swig of his drink, looking out over the surroundings.

For a moment, he was calm and content with himself but then he heard what sounded like sniffling from beside him. He looked down to where the noise was coming from and was met with a small, ginger boy, crying on the floor with his knees hugged into his chest. Kageyama internally groaned; he wasn't in the mood to deal with a crying person today. Also what the hell was a middle school kid even doing at a high school party? Was this someone's little brother that had just tagged along? Either way, he wasn't his problem to deal with. He couldn't help but feel bad for the kid though, he was crying pretty hard. Should he try and comfort him? Probably not, he's only tried comforting someone once before and he'd made the situation worse within the first few seconds of him talking. Still, he felt like just leaving him here was the wrong answer to the situation. "...Hey shrimp." He finally built up the courage to try and calm him down, sitting down beside him but making sure not to get too close. "What's up? You're crying like you just got stabbed."