XXI

You

Hazel found us all a tunnel easily. I hopped down into the trench, looking into the eerie darkness. Thank goodness Percy's sword glowed. I pulled out my own, taking up the back of the group to watch our flank. While it would be nearly impossible to follow us through this maze, I didn't want to take any chances.

My own sword had a glow to it too. A bright silver light seemed to pulse from it. I guess I knew why it was called moon silver now.

I could hear the battle above us. There was the faint clang of metal and the steady drum of footsteps caused dirt to crumble on me. I gave a shiver, just remembering what this scene reminded me of. One hand drifted to my abdomen where there was still a slight scar from where Khione had got me all those months ago. I closed my eyes slightly, trembling at how Gaea had saved me. It still didn't make any sense why she did.

"You okay?" Percy seemed to notice that I had stopped.

I shook out of my thoughts, my eyes snapping open. "Sorry. Just bad memories."

He gave me a look if sympathy. I guess he wouldn't be able to relate to memories...

"There's an opening just ahead," Hazel announced. "We'll come up ten feet from the east wall."

"How can you tell?" Percy asked, moving up to the rest of them.

"I don't know," she said. "But I'm sure."

"Could we tunnel straight under the wall?" Frank wondered.

"No," Hazel said. "The engineers were smart. They built the walls on old foundations that go down to bedrock. And don't ask how I know. I just do."

Mike, the person that was supposed to be showing me around, stumbled next to me, nearly flying flat on his face. We all stopped as he turned around to see what it was.

My eyes leaped out in recognition. A large piece if metal was poking itself from the ground. I angled my sword to see it a bit better until I realized that Mike was reaching out to touch it, pure greed in his eyes.

"Don't touch it!" Hazel said.

I kicked his hand out if the way before pushing the boy out of the way. "I'd listen if I were you."

"It's massive," Frank said, moving around to see it. "Silver?"

"Platinum." Hazel sounded scared out of her wits. "It'll go away in a second. Please don't touch it. It's dangerous."

Mike seemed outraged at the fact I had knocked him out of the way. "What do you think you're!"

I pointed my sword at him aggressively. "Saving your life, idiot. Now shut your mouth and get up."

I could see Frank raise his eyebrows from the corner of my eye. Perhaps I was a bit too aggressive?

I looked back where the piece of metal sunk back into the ground.

Frank seemed amazed as he stared at Hazel. "How did you know?"

In the light of mine and Percy's sword, Hazel looked as ghostly as a Lare. "I'll explain later," she promised.

Another explosion rocked the tunnel, and they forged ahead.

They popped out of a hole just where Hazel had predicted. In front of them, the fort's east wall loomed. Off to their left, I could see the main line of the Fifth Cohort advancing in a tight formation, shields forming a shell over their heads and sides. Reminded me of a turtle. They were trying to reach the main gates, but the defenders above pelted them with rocks and shot flaming bolts from the scorpions, blasting craters around their feet. A water cannon discharged with a jaw-rattling THRUM, and a jet of liquid carved a trench in the dirt right in front of the cohort.