LI

You

Hylla found me in the morning. I'm glad she did, cause I still wanted answers and I hoped I could somehow get those answers from the Amazon's past.

"I think I understand why Andromeda's stone responds to you," Hylla said, walking up to where I was sitting.

I had gotten up early in the morning and sat down in a quiet aisle. I had pulled a few boxes from the shelves and was now using it as a way to relax without having to deal with the other amazons. Still, I could feel their gazes on me throughout the morning. They were curious.

"You must be Andromeda's daughter. But the only thing I can't make sense of would be how. She was banished to another dimension, and if she came back, I feel like we would know."

I stared at her, her words filling my head. Andromeda's daughter. The theory was more valid than Hylla would know.

"She didn't need to come back to this world," I started. "Because I didn't come from this world. One moment I was enjoying my life, and the next I was sucked here through some kind of power."

Hylla's mouth dropped in a little 'o'. "A summoned," she whispered. "It would be no coincidence bringing the daughter of Andromeda here, but who would..."

"Gaea." I said. "She brought me here, and she thinks she can control me." I felt that heat of rage rush over my body. Gaea could think all she wanted, but I'd lost trust in her long ago. My parents were dead to me, one for real, and one likely to be soon. It wouldn't matter what I would do, Gaea would never release my father, and it put a stinging burn of pain through my heart.

Hylla studied me for a moment, watching as the rage broke down into sorrow. "I'm sorry," she said. "For what Gaea has done to you. She has never truly cared for her own."

I gulped, pressing back the tears. As deep as they could go until it was only shimmering rage bubbling on the surface.

"But I don't understand. If Andromeda is my mom, then what about the mom that raised me? Gaea she..." I couldn't finish the words, just the thought making my vision flash red. "My mom's gone."

Hylla noted the glare in my eyes. "Then it's possible that she was never your real mom. Maybe not even your dad. That, or when the gods banished Andromeda and took her memories, she was just an ordinary mortal. Who knows, your mom could have been a god reduced to mortal form."

It didn't give me any consolidation, but it could be an answer. However, it would be quite unlikely for my mom to be Andromeda considering it was under Gaea's orders that she was killed. Yet, it gave me a little peace that perhaps I did belong in this world. At this point, I wasn't even sure if there was any point in going back home. I didn't even know if I had a home.

"If you are Andromeda's daughter, then you could be the one to fulfill the ancient prophecies. I think I know a way to confirm if you are."

Several of the amazons had stopped to stare. Questions in their eyes and whispers on their tongues. The events of last night were still fresh, and it was common knowledge that Otrera would show up again today. A dead woman walking thanks to her lovely patron - and my possible grandmother - Gaea.

Hylla gave them a sharp look, her hand going fleetingly to the weapon at her waist. It was a reminder not to just last night, but to her authority as queen. The amazons dispersed quickly enough before Hylla turned back to me.

"Come on." She flicked her head down one of the aisles and started walking. She didn't bother to check if I was following.

None of the other Amazons bothered us as we moved around to the back of the warehouse.