XXXVI

Hazel

This day had to be categorized into nothing but absolutely horrifying. First, Phineas reminded her all too well that she was the reason for Alcyoneus rising from the dead. Even worse than that, she never imagined the horror of watching a friend's life crumble away in her hands.

Literally.

Hazel could only stare as steam poured from Percy's eyes, his skin turning hard and ashen before crumbling away. She grasped onto his crumbling hand, tears rising to the edge of her eyes as he crumbled into nothing. The dust crumbled from her hands before two items dropped to the ground. A small pen, and the necklace with beads that he always wore around his neck.

The crazy old blind man was laughing ecstatically. Though, he wasn't so blind anymore.

"You fools. My patron gave me all the guidance I needed to survive. Clearly, I'm a much more valuable pawn in these games than that other demigod."

Hazel looked up, anger flashing hot in her veins. What she wouldn't give to gut him right here and now. She had already lost too many people in her lifetime. It pained her to add Percy to the growing list.

She ripped her sword from her side and swung at him, rage making her thoughts blind as she aimed to do anything. She wanted to send him back to the underworld where he belonged.

He seemed to dodge all of her strikes with ease, seeming to know exactly which way she would move and how she would swing her sword.

A hand took hold of shoulder, tugging her back from her desperate rage.

"Hazel." It was Frank. His hand was warm against her shoulder and he pulled her back. "He's-" His words faltered.

Hazel knew what he was going to say. It was the exact words echoing through her own mind. Percy was gone. Surely, there had to be something they could do. The doors of death were still open. She had come back from the dead. Percy could too.

"The doors of death are still open," Hazel started. "We could-"

Phineas cut her off as he started to laugh. "You really think it's that easy? It would take him ages for you to bring him back. I would know."

I would know too, is what Hazel wanted to say, but she glanced at Frank from the corner of her eye. Things could be different if she didn't get help from her brother Nico. But it wasn't as if she could just go back to camp Jupiter. That would mark all of them failures and traitors to new Rome. Not to mention that Frank would likely get all the blame being the centurion in charge.

Hazel pointed her sword, the tip nearly reaching Phineas's skin. "Tell us where Alconyeous's lair is."

Phineas only made a tisking sound, shaking his head. "That wasn't part of the deal. You lost, and your poor friend is now taking a visit to the under world." He let out a little laugh, pushing Hazel's blade aside as he moved to grab for his food.

Hazel let her sword drop to her side, her eyes wide as she watched Phineas take hold of his weed wacker and swing with deadly precision at one of the harpies that had gotten too close.

The poor harpie let out a squeak, several feathers falling to the ground before the cluster of harpies dissapeared back into the trees.

"Ha! Take that!" Phineas yelled, shaking his weed wacker and sitting back down at the table. "I won't be missing anymore now that I can see!"

Frank stormed up to Phineas, grabbing him by the cuff of his shirt, and nearly lifting him off the ground.

"You better tell us now, or I'm going to send you to the underworld myself." Frank was practically seething.

The grin on Phineas's face almost grew even wider. "I think the two of us both know that you won't be doing that. And even if you were to try..." he tapped his forehead lightly. "I'll see it coming."

Frank dropped him back down, disgusted. He took a step back, brushing his hand through his hair in frustration.

Phineas sat back down at his table, promptly sticking the piece of paper that had the name of the location of Alconyeous and made a point to swallow it. Hazel only grimaced, absolutely disgusted by his actions.

She wanted to do something to help Frank. But what could they do. Going back to camp now would be a failure. They wouldn't have the eagle for their legion, and worse, Frank would never get the recognition from his father, Mars, that he deserved. But Percy was...

Hazel didn't even want to think about it. She had been there, done that. Still, she had hope, although they would be tight to finish their quest and warn camp Jupiter of the army heading for them.

"We need to go get Percy," she said with confidence. If she was able to come back from the overworld, Percy had to aswell.

Phineas licked some barbeque sauce from his fingers and slumped back down into his chair with a laugh. "You think that you can save that boy?" Phineas put emphasis on the word you, causing Hazel to frown.

Perhaps she couldn't do it alone, but Frank would help her, and she was hoping that her brother Nico would too.

"Anyways. It took me ages to get back here from the dead with the help of my patron. And she is much more powerful than any of you."

Hazel frowned bitterly. He was harsh with his words, but it was also painfully true. Hazel knew the power that Gaea had. After all, the earth goddess was the reason why she first died all those years ago after trying to use her blood to rise from her sleep. Only her sacrifice had stopped the goddess, and sent her to the underworld in the process.

"You're right. We have to bring him back."

Hazel looked up, meeting the dark brown of the boy's in front of her. "Really?"

"Yes, we came here as a team, and we are going to be leaving as one. No team left behind." His face turned a bright red, and he put one hand against the back if his neck. "That, and I don't think we could get that boat to go anywhere without Percy."

Hazel shook her head, smiling. She wasn't sure how at the moment, but she was sure that they would bring Percy back and complete their quest. But first.

A dark glint caught in Hazel's eyes as she snapped her gaze to Phineas.

"First things first," she said drawing her sword and stepping toward the not-so-blind-anymore blind guy.

She snapped her sword around fast, stopping just before the blade hit his neck. She could see Phineas gulp, a nick of blook starting from where she didn't stop her blade fast enough.

"Tell me where Alconyeous's lair is."

⚜⚜⚜

I am back for another chapter...  albeit a short one. Part of that is because wattpad kept glitching and not saving my progress, so I had to keep rewriting. Other than that, I have just been so busy I can't even think. But I have been enjoying reading all of the comments streaming in.

Still trying to get through midterm season, so I can't guarantee a post next week, but I'm trying... have a good Halloween everyone!