XXXVIII

You

I thought the first quest that I went on was a disaster. I was clearly wrong. At least, no one had died on that journey.

The bus rolled to a stop, and I practically jumped off. There was a fire in my veins, a rage so deep that I didn't know where it ended. For the life of me, I couldn't tell what angered me more. The fact that I wasn't there to stop this disaster from happening, or that it was probably my fault that it happened in the first place.

It was still raining as I walked, a purpose in my stride. The soft drizzle quickly soaked my hair and clothes, but I didn't mind much. It was at least something to cool myself down from the heat raging in my blood. I swear, I would kill that blind old man. I never liked Phineas even when I had read about him in the books. He was supposed to die anyways, though he could probably see me coming.

The bus rumbled to a start, driving away as I was left standing alone in the rain. The streets were filled with people carrying umbrellas, all in a rush to get someplace. My lips turned down out the corners. If I confronted Phineas, I don't know what they would see.

I wasn't quite sure where I was going, but it was as if my feet had a mind of it's own. I went through street after street until reaching an open parking lot. Trees lined the edge with sidewalks, opening up for a line of food trucks.

I reached up to my necklace, taking the clasp off and barely watching as it transformed into Artemis' sword. Images of the vision swam in my head. She must have lost it centuries ago to the lake at camphalfblood after that battle. How it came into my possession, I wasn't sure.

I spotted Phineas almost immediately. He seemed quite pleased now, and I couldn't even see a single harpy in sight. His stringy white hair dangled around him in the light sprinkle which was still wet even though he was sitting under an umbrella.

I couldn't help the scowl that settled on my face. My fingers brushed against the tear drop shaped stone in my pocket, and I felt immediately rejuvenated with energy. Just the feel gave me a slight spring in my step that let me move forward with a predatory glide.

I narrowed my eyes, sword in one hand and wet hair hanging around my face. I certainly hoped I was doing my best at being intimidating.

It took several moments before the old, bald man looked up and saw me. His eyes grew wide, and the barbeque chicken wings he was eating slipped from his hands onto his plate. His jaw hung slack and I could almost see his mind whirling. Perhaps the intimidation techniques were working.

I let my sword drag lightly against the ground, the ring of metal hanging in the air.

Phineas stood up from his chair, finally wiping the shock from his face.

"You-" his eyes were wide. "You shouldn't be here. It is impossible."

I smirked, stopping mere feet from his table. "What?" I asked in a mocking tone. "Didn't see me coming?" My blood was burning with a desire for action. The anger coursing through my veins was nearly overwhelming. Though, in part it was anger at Gaea for choosing this pathetic oaf over Percy.

Phineas paused at my words, a little confused. For a moment I thought that perhaps he might not have seen me coming, which would have been a surprise. Instead, I pointed my sword under his neck. His legs were still trapped in front of his chair, forcing him to remain where he was standing.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't just kill you here." The venom in my voice hung thickly in the air. Phineas couldn't even keep eye contact as he whimpered lightly.

"I- I can tell you where to find Alconyeous's lair."

I scoffed. "As if I don't already know."

He seemed to be sweating, but it was hard to tell with all of the humidity in the air. I took a step forward, nicking the skin at his neck slightly.