XIII

You

Reyna signaled me forward to join her as soon as she started walking. The rest of the demigods filed into line behind their leader.

"Friend or foe?" she asked. It was a simple question. Easy.

I looked back at Percy who had fallen into the entourage by Frank and Hazel. "Friend," I stated. "Definitely a friend."

She then looked at me seriously. "How can you be so sure?" She then drew her voice quieter. "I know that guy. He practically destroyed my first home."

I nodded. I knew the story just as much as any other Riordan fan. Circe turned Percy into a guinea pig, and Annabeth helped turn him back. Of course, they also happened to release a bunch of pirates that burned down the entire resort. I almost felt bad for Reyna, but I knew it had to happen to bring Reyna here.

"You have to remember that he was 13 year old boy, and Circe turned him into a guinea pig."

Her eyes went wide. "How much do you know?" I don't think she was expecting me to know that much information.

"About most things, not a lot. About him," I paused. Percy Jackson was probably the most well known character in the entire Riordan-verse. "Probably too much."

She nodded, and I assumed that meant I was good to go fall back by Percy, Frank and Hazel. After all, they were practically my heroes. I guess I was theirs now too, considering how I had saved their lives multiple times.

I looked to the Lares. One of the spotted Percy before shouting "Graecus," and disappearing.

"Am I seeing things?" Percy asked once I started walking beside them. "Or are those—"

"Ghosts?" Hazel turned. She had startling eyes, like fourteen-karat gold. "They're Lares. House gods."

"House gods," Percy said. "Like...smaller than real gods, but larger than apartment gods?"

"They're ancestral spirits," Frank explained. He'd removed his helmet, letting me clearly see his face.

"The Lares are kind of like mascots," he continued. "Mostly they're harmless, but I've never seen them so agitated."

"They're staring at me," Percy said. "That ghost kid called me Greggus. My name isn't Greg."

"Graecus," Hazel said. "Once you've been here awhile, you'll start understanding Latin. Demigods have a natural sense for it. Graecus means Greek."

"Is that bad?" Percy asked.

I shook my head. "No," I said. "It's not a bad thing. It's just different than most Romans here."

Frank cleared his throat, shrugging. "You've got that type of complexion, the dark hair and all. Maybe they think you're actually Greek. Is your family from there?"

"Don't know. Like I said, my memory is gone."

"Or maybe..." Frank hesitated.

"What?" Percy asked.

"Probably nothing," Frank said. "Romans and Greeks have an old rivalry. Sometimes Romans use graecus as an insult for someone who's an outsider—an enemy. I wouldn't worry about it."

Frank looked pretty worried to me, but I turned to face Percy. "Trust me on this," I said. "It's nothing bad. Sometimes enemies become friends."

I don't think that reassured Percy any more than Franks words did. He then seemed to spot the principia. It was  a large building with a purple banner in the front.

"Your headquarters?" Percy asked.

Reyna turned to face him. Even though I already told her he was a friend, she clearly didn't trust him, her eyes cold and hostile. "It's called the principia."

She scanned the mob of curious campers who had followed them from the river. "Everyone back to your duties. I'll give you an update at evening muster. Remember, we have war games after dinner."

The crowd dispersed reluctantly. Some muttered comments about Percy's chances.

"He's dead," said one.

"I don't know. That girl Y/n did save him. Isn't she the camp hero right now?" said another.

"What about the other two?" muttered another. "Let him join the Fifth Cohort. Greeks and geeks."

Several kids laughed at that, but Reyna scowled at them, and they cleared off.

"Hazel, Y/n," Reyna said. "Come with us. I want your report on what happened at the gates."

"Me too?" Frank said. "Percy saved my life. We've got to let him—"

Reyna gave Frank such a harsh look, he stepped back. I guess this was why she was praetor.

"I'd remind you, Frank Zhang," she said, "you are on probatio yourself. You've caused enough trouble this week." Yeah, probably how a giant rock monster showed asking for his and Hazel's names.

Frank's ears turned red. I almost felt bad for him.

"Go to the armory," Reyna told him. "Check our inventory. I'll call you if I need you."

"But—" Frank caught himself. "Yes, Reyna." The praetor looked so fierce in that moment, I probably would have obeyed her every order too.