LA

My time in the United Kingdom felt like a lifetime ago. I was able to graduate from university, got a few more internships, and even a full time seasonal job. I had enough zoo experience to get an entry level position. 

This is where my journey to California journey begins. I was able to get a job at the LA zoo working with only penguins. I was excited for the new job, but also because my sister Molly is coming with me. I couldn't afford a place by myself so my sister volunteered to come. We will share a room with two others in a house. 

Another reason I was excited, was Mark is in LA. After the pandemic, Mark quickly moved to the states. Mark and I stayed in touch every once in a while. Molly played with Mark sometimes on streams. I stayed in touch with Sabine, but Seán and I haven't contacted each other in a year and a half. I still watched his videos occasionally and saw his social media updates. He and I pretty much lost contact after he invited his new girlfriend to move in. He hasn't even posted on social media as much, besides promoting his new coffee company. 

"Nalia," Molly broke me out of daydream. "My phone died." 

I bite my lower lip. "Then plug it in. I'm seeing signs for LA, so we are almost there." I keep my hands on my steering wheel and look at the road ahead. The traffic was slowly increasing. 

Molly grabs my phone. "I have an iphone. My charger is in my suitcase." She unlocks my phone. "You have the address on your phone right?" 

I glance over at her. "It should be in a text to Mark, or in an email." I hear the touch vibration on my screen and then hear the Star Wars Cantina band start to play. 

Molly answers my phone. "Hey Mark!"  I strain to hear Mark on the other end. "We are almost there, it's just my phone died. I'm trying to find it on Nalia's phone, but android phones are confusing." 

I roll my eyes and snatch my phone from her. "Mark?" 

"Yes?" His deep voice fills my right ear. 

"You can probably just leave now. By the time I figure out where to go, you will probably beat us there." 

"Oh I already beat you. I've been here for an hour." I hear Mark yell for his dog Chica.

"I'm so sorry I didn't call sooner. I'll get there asap!" 

"No it's ok." I hear a loud whistle. "You're moving in with one of my old editors. Ethan. Our dogs play with each other once in a while." 

I sigh. "Ok I'm on the freeway, which exit do I use?" 

"Take exit 21. Then turn left. Keep going until you hit the end of the street, then turn right. The house will be on the right." 

I smile. "Thank you Mark. We will be there soon." 

The line goes dead and I hand my phone back to Molly. Molly plugs my phone into the car charger and we sit in silence for the rest of the ride. 

I pull into a long driveway with two other cars in it. I park and unbuckle my seatbelts, but Molly is already out and looking at the trunk with our things. I get out of my car and jump when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and Mark has a big smile on his face. 

"Mark!" He and I hug each other. "It's so good to see you!" 

Mark and I separate. "It's been a while Nalia, but it seems you haven't changed very much." 

I frown. "I have changed. I had enough confidence to move across country." 

Mark chuckles. "Yeah but I also remember you moving overseas once too." 

"She was a scared little girl. This is permanent." I say proudly. 

Molly comes up behind us with a box full of computer stuff. "Hi Mark! I'd hug you and fangirl, but I would like to get this stuff in the house ASAP." 

Mark nods. "The door is unlocked. Ethan is out back with the dogs. Let me help." 

I grab a few suitcases and Mark grabs more of Molly's computer set up. I follow Mark up the stairs and into a huge bedroom. This was probably the master bedroom because there was also an attached bathroom. Mark already bought a desk for Molly. She was currently putting her setup together. I was hanging my clothes up in the closet. 

Suddenly I heard steps bounding up the stairs. A large golden retriever and a lean Shepard's mix came running in the room. The retriever went immediately to Mark. The shepherd ran around in a circle and then back out. A man around Mark's height walked in but was more lean. 

The man smiles. "Hey, I'm Ethan. I guess we're roommates." 

I walk over and extend my hand. "Nalia." We shake hands. I motion behind me. "That's my sister Molly." 

Ethan looks over behind me. "Gamer?" He looks from Molly to Mark. Mark nods. "I thought I recognized you. Love your content." 

Molly finally looks up from her mess of wires. She blushes. "Thanks. I try my best." 

"Do you want help?" Ethan walks over to her desk. 

Ethan tries to hand her a wire but she slaps his hand away. "Don't touch. This has to be set up exactly like I had before…" 

Ethan chuckles. "Ok." He holds his hands up. "Let me know if you need anything." Ethan walks back over to me. "You seem like the responsible one, so here are two sets of keys. Stephanie shares a wall with you. I'm down the hall and my recording room is next to the bathroom." The Shepard mix sits obediently next to Ethan. "Oh, this is Spencer. He's really friendly." 

I bend down and let Spencer sniff my hand. I start to pet him. "I bet he likes peanutbutter." 

Ethan violently shakes his head. "That is a rule we have here. I have a severe peanut allergy. Spence will eat little pieces of ham." 

I nod. "Noted." I look around the room. "Molly, hurry up. We need to go shopping." 

Molly gives a loud groan. "What could we possibly need?" 

I point to the large open space. "Um, a bed." Molly rolls her brown eyes and flips her shoulder length hair. I ignore her primadonna behavior and look around. "Now, do we want two twin beds, or one big bed?" 

Molly gives me a puzzled look. "Why not twin beds?" 

"The big bed may take up more space, but it maybe cheaper." 

Mark shrugs. "You can figure it out there." 

I motion for Molly to get up. "Let's go." 

Molly reluctantly gets up and follows me out the door.