Curran and Nalia

Work went by in a blur. I was still being trained so I was able to go a little slower than usual. Rachel's words stuck with me. I didn't want any kind of drama so I guess I will follow them. I mean, Seán is here for work so how much time would we actually have together? I still want to see Curran as much as possible. I text Curran good luck on my lunch break. Seán texted me while I was working. Have a great day 😀.  I ignore his text. After my shift, Curran texts me saying his audition seemed to go well. He was on his way to his current gig. 

As I am driving home, I get another text from Seán. Crossing fingers for Curran. I send him a smiley face and focus back on the road. 

This is kind of how it went for the next 2 weeks. I went to work and came home. Curran was bust working all day and sleeping when he could. Molly didn't notice anything. She and Rachel were getting along. Any time Rachel saw me, she glared in my direction. Seán kept texting me a little every day. I would either not respond or give one word answers. If he asked specific questions I ignored them. I could tell it was starting to bother him, but I didn't want to get in between him and Rachel.  

It was a Monday and Curran finally had some time for me. I went home and took a quick shower before deciding what to wear. I finally threw on a white shirt and my blue checkered skort. I paired them with my white sandles. I sit on the porch until I finally see Curran's car pull into the driveway. I get into his car and kiss his cheek. "Where are we going?" 

Curran puts the car in reverse. "Just a small Cafe. I want to be able to talk to you." He gives me a smile. 

Curran parks on the street outside of the Cafe. We take a seat at a table outside. Curran orders a coffee and I order a smoothie. 

"Nalia," Curran takes a sip of his coffee. "I got the part." 

I beam at this news. "Congratulations! Curran I know you worked so hard for this. I am so proud of you." 

Curran doesn't share my enthusiasm. " Nalia we need to talk about this. I am really excited about this opportunity, but there is a negative to it." I look at him confused. "It is a reoccurring role. I will have to be gone for 6 months or more at a time. The filming is in Canada." 

I take his hands on mine. "That's OK Curran. I understand. I am OK with it." 

Curran looks up at me. "You do?" I nod. "I thought this was going to be difficult." 

Rain started to fall. Luckily we were under an umbrella. "Of course going long distance will be difficult at first but…" 

"No." Curran cuts me off. "Nalia that's not what I meant." Curran takes a deep breath. " I came here to let you go. It is not fair to you or me. If this tv show gets renewed for more seasons, we will barely see each other. I don't want to go long distance. I guess I really want to focus on my career without having to worry about a girlfriend." 

I felt like I have been slapped in the face. I never saw this coming. I was willing to put in the effort but Curran is not. "Curran," I whimper. "No. I am willing to try. I love you."

Curran stands up. "That's just it Nalia. I don't want to try. I want to focus on myself. I am sorry." He walks off to his car and gets in. 

As he drives off, the rain comes down harder. I am stunned. Tears are building in my eyes. I look at the spot where Curran's car was parked. I slowly stand up and walk over to it. Then, it all hits me. Tears fall and my breathing becomes irregular. My heart is broken. I stand in the same spot for a couple minutes just crying. People around me are racing to find cover from the rain, while I just stand in it.

Eventually I start walking. I just went off in a random direction. I was downtown and had no car to get back home with. I wish I could be mad about Curran just leaving me here, but I couldn't. I just felt weak and sad. I didn't care that I was probably soaked from the rain. I really didn't know what I should be doing. 

"Nalia?" 

I hear a familiar voice. I could just barely make it out. "Nalia!" 

I look up and see a brown haired irish man. It was Seán. I made it under a canopy and was out of the rain. I haven't seen Seán in so long. His facial hair was growing back full, and he seemed to have dyed his hair back to brown. 

"Nalia, you're soaked. What happened?" 

My eyes finally meet his and that's when I can't hold it all in anymore. Tears start to fall again. Seán's blue eyes are filled with concern. "Curran and I just broke up." 

Seán doesn't say anything. He wraps his arms around me. I bawl into his shoulder. I guess this what you would call ugly crying. Snot was coming from my nose and my face was soaked from the rain and my tears. 

Seán pulls away. "Come on. I have an Uber coming. I can't believe he just left you out in the rain." Seán puts his hand in mine. We wait for the Uber to arrive under the canopy.