Curran

The mattress store wasn't exciting. Mark and Ethan came with us and tried to make it interesting. Unfortunately, they just got to hear Molly argue about how I can't have nice things. Molly wanted a fluffy bed. I can't have one because my joints need to be supported. Molly pouted as we check out with a firm queen mattress. Luckily Mark was there because the box it was in was heavy. Mark took it upstairs to our room. I take out my multi use tool and start cutting open the box. 

Ethan whistles. "Dang, a girl who carries a knife." 

I wink at him. "Just wait until I drop it in my first pile of penguin poop." 

Ethan gives me a funny look. I laugh. "I'm a zookeeper. I'll be at the LA zoo as a penguin keeper." 

Mark chuckles. "You're gonna smell like fish." 

I stick my tongue out at him. "I'll be having fun at least." 

Mark and Ethan pull the mattress out and lay it on the floor. I inspect where the bed is. "I guess this will do. We can go buy sheets tomorrow. Tonight will just be our blankets. While out, we can look for more bed accessories." 

The doorbell suddenly echoes throughout the house. I couldn't help but smile. I race down the stairs and open the front door. "Hey babe." 

Curran was at the door. I practically jump into his arms. My arms go around his neck and his arms wrap around my waist. He places a gentle kiss in my long auburn hair. I lace my fingers through his curly dark hair.

We pull away when we hear someone clear their throat. I turn around and see Mark and Ethan with sly smiles on their faces. Molly gave a normal smile and waved. "Hi Curran." 

"Hey Molly." Curran waves back. 

I point to the guys. "Curran this is Ethan, my housemate  and Mark. I've told you about Mark." 

Curran steps around me. "Sup guys?" 

Mark nods. "You gonna join us for dinner?" 

"If that's alright. Nalia and I haven't seen each other in months." Curran takes my hand and kisses it. I can't help but blush.

Molly rolls her eyes. "Of course. Like we could tear you two apart." 

Mark takes his keys out of his pocket. "Let's get going then. Sushi on me?" 

Everyone nods and we all pile into Mark's car. Mark and Ethan talk games with Molly while Curran and I quietly talk. Curran has gotten a few small roles in tv shows. He wants to take me out after my first day of work. I was happy to be with my curly haired, green-blue eyed boyfriend. I rest my head on his shoulder for the rest of the ride.

The sushi place was on the small side. We sat down and the waiter brought us our waters. Ethan and Molly ordered some alcohol while Curran and Mark talked about the place. I look at the menu and nudge Curran. He looks at the menu with me. "I'm just gonna grab a scallop roll and a spicy tuna roll." 

I wrinkle my nose. "Of course." I shake my head. Curran was more adventurous with his sushi. I took a parasite class in college and ever since I am weary about raw sushi. "I'll go with a spicy California and this Christmas tree roll. It's got crab and shrimp in it." 

Curran chuckles. I slide my hand into his under the table. Curran rubs my hand with his thumb. 

Molly notices my enjoyment and rolls her eyes. Molly starts talking with Ethan about the food. 

Mark clears his throat. "So Nalia have you heard from Sabine?" 

I look over at Mark. "Sabine and I talk about once a week. She is working at a rehab facility now. She and Ezra are still together." 

"I miss hanging out with them. Our Friday nights were fun. I especially liked the time we all played Monopoly. Jack and I ran out of money and Sabine was so determined to beat Ezra." He laughs to himself. "Didn't you tag team with Jack?"

I nod my head. The mention of Seán creates a lump in my throat. "Yeah that was a fun night." 

Curran looks between us. "I've kind of met Sabine and heard about Ezra, but who is Jack?"

I look at Curran. "He was the one I stayed with during the pandemic lockdown." 

Mark chuckles. "He is a streamer too. You'll probably meet him soon too. Jack is supposed to come live with me for a year for work." 

I try not to make it obvious I froze. Molly was looking at me, and I knew she knew. I squeeze Curran's hand for support. Curran glances at me and goes back to Mark. "What is Jack like?" 

I smile and look at him. "You would probably get along. Seán likes movies." 

Mark looks to Curran. "Favorite movie?" 

Curran never hesitates at the question. "What's Eating Gilbert Grape."

"Ah. A Leo fan." 

Curran starts to get excited. "Definitely. I look up to him. I hope to be an actor as good as him." 

"Curran won't be around much next week. He has a few roles to do." 

"That's a shame. Guess tomorrow will be your last hurrah, with Nalia starting work on Monday." 

Curran and I look at each other. "We were actually hoping to spend tomorrow together." 

Molly gasps. "Not with this news!" Ethan is wide eyed. 

"Mark?" 

"Yeah Ethan?" 

Ethan looks around Molly. "When did Seán say he would be flying in?" 

Mark shrugs. "He was supposed to text me when he booked his flight." 

Ethan just shakes his head. "Mark he is coming tomorrow. Do you ever check your phone?" 

Mark has a slight look of panic and looks at his phone. "Ah...well…" Mark looks over to me. "I have some meetings tomorrow until around dinner time. If you could go pick him up that would be great." 

Curran squeezes my hand this time. I smile at Mark. "Of course Mark. We would be glad to help."

"Ok thanks. We can go get burgers or something tomorrow. I'll pay again of course." 

I sigh. I haven't seen Seán in years and I was about to pick him up from the airport tomorrow. I didn't even have time to prepare. The food is set on the table. I look at Curran. "I'm going to use the bathroom." 

Curran and Mark follow me and go into the men's room. I do my business and walk out. Mark is back at the table while Curran gives a small wave sitting in a chair near the bathroom. I walk over to him. 

Curran takes both of my hands and kisses them. I pull him up and kiss him on the lips. It was our first kiss in months. Curran pulls away and takes my hand. "So what's wrong with this Jack guy?" 

I shake my head. "There's nothing wrong with him, it's just…" I guess now is better than never. "Seán and I used to be together." 

Curran doesn't look shocked. "So this is the guy who was your first for everything?" I nod. "Well that was a long time ago. You're happy with me right?" 

I smile and kiss our hands. "Of course."

He pulls my chair out for me. "Then we have nothing to worry about."