Burgers

We were seated at a table with five total chairs. Two chairs were really close together. Molly and Ethan took those chairs. Mark sat at the head of the table. Rachel and Seán were next to each other, with me and Curran on the other side. I of course somehow was seated across from Seán near Mark. 

The waitress came and took our order. That left us all at the table making small talk. Molly and Ethan were talking about some video they watched back at the house. Rachel was on her phone. 

"So what is this project you guys are working on?" Curran asks.

Mark smirks. "Can't tell yeah man. It's a secret. You will have to wait to find out like everyone else." 

Curran chuckles. "I tried. I will be working more in the coming weeks so I thought I would try to get it out of you." 

Mark shakes his head. "Nope. I dont reveal any project details early. You and Nalia need to relax and not work as hard." 

I roll my eyes. "Curran needs to take every role he can. He wants to get a recurring role or a movie soon." 

Seán looks at Curran. "You have gigs yet?" 

Curran nodded. "Yeah I'll be working almost every day for the next week or two. As soon as I heard Nalia was moving here, I wanted to get as much time with her as possible." Curran slips his hand in mine under the table. 

I smile. "I wish I didnt start work tomorrow, but you know I cant help but love penguins." 

"You're working with penguins?" Seán asks me.

I try to give him my least awkward smile. His blue eyes looking at me made me nervous. "Yes I will only be working with penguins at the LA zoo." 

Seán gives a puzzle look. " No reptiles?" 

I freeze and take a breath. Curran squeezes my hand. "No, I decided to make that more of a hobby instead. I wanted to focus on penguin conservation efforts." 

Curran speaks up. "I'll be picking her up from work tomorrow. I want to see the penguins too." 

Rachel speaks while looking at her phone. "Penguins huh? I bet you are going to smell like poop and fish." Her eyes meet mine for a second.

"No," I pause. "I shower every day and make sure I dont smell." 

Our conversation comes to an end when the waitress brings our food to the table. The meal goes by quickly, without me having to talk very much. Curran and I gave each other a couple looks of reassurance before the check comes. Mark does pay for the meal and instructs Curran to follow him back to his house. We all got back into the cars and drive to Mark's. Curran holds my hand the entire ride.