Chapter Thirteen

After placing another clean plate up on the bench, Harry dumped a pot used to make soup underneath the soapy liquid, scrubbing it with the brush. But, to his immense displeasure, his sleeves previously bunched around his elbows began to slide down, inching closer and closer to the dirty water.

"No, no, no-" Harry hissed, desperately needing to swear but knowing it wasn't worth the consequences.

The doorbell rang, and somewhere in the house Harry heard Petunia screech, "Get the door, you useless boy!"

Harry dropped the pot, defeated, and looked down at his soaked sleeves and the splattered rest of his shirt.

"HURRY UP!"

"I'm going!" Harry quickly yelled back. Did their legs stop working all of a sudden? Maybe Petunia tripped on the driveway trying to spy on the neighbours and broke her stupid ankles. Continuing to brainstorm insults, Harry wiped his hands on his pants and then opened the door. "They're right in-" he began to direct the visitor to the Dursleys, but something immediately cut Harry off as he stared in utter shock.

A man in a black suit and light green button-up stared back, his tie with a bank insignia tucked into the blazer. But even with a briefcase in hand, Harry could recognise that pale, slicked-back hair anywhere.

"Potter?" Draco said, his wide eyes and higher voice betraying his astonishment.

"Malfoy?" Harry furrowed his eyebrows, his surprise quickly replaced with anger. "Where the hell have you been?"

"You tell me, Potter," Draco countered, adjusting his tie, doing his best to keep his expression closed off. "You're attacking me as if it's not your fault."

Harry was just about to demand what the hell that meant when Vernon's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Who is it, boy?"

Just remembering that old school enemies don't just turn up at peoples doors, and remembering that Draco looked almost more surprised than Harry did when opening the door, Harry blanked. "Uhh..."

Vernon's large frame came into view and Draco held up a business card. "I'm a representative from your chosen bank, here by your request to assist you with planning for-"

"Oh, yes." Vernon sniffed, eyeing Draco suspiciously. "Where's the old guy?"

"I'm his son."

Grumbling, Vernon turned around. "Well, come in, then."

With one last look at Harry as he passed, Draco followed Vernon. 

---

Ron: hol yshit

Harry: yep

Ron: so hes bin at this bank job the hole time??

Harry: seems so. but why, i mean... banking?

Hermione: Think about it. I was surprised in the first place that a family as prestigious as the Malfoys would let their only heir work at an ice cream store. I'd think that he quit for whatever reason and began working where their family has connections that would bring them a lot of money. Harry, what did the insignia on his blazer/tie/etc look like?

Harry: damn true

Ron: shit yea

Harry: idfk i wasn't staring at his clothes, hermione

Ron: well next time mabey u should

Harry: https://media.giphy.com/media/f7YpJOjurrG6mEWX7R/giphy.gif