Chapter Seventeen

Once again looking very out of place, Draco stared judgmentally at a sad looking pot plant as Harry leant against a high counter while talking to a younger staff member.

"So, how many nights was it?" she asked.

Draco wrinkled up his nose at her American drawl. His father always ranted about how Americans can't even spell things correctly, it's as if they've forgotten where they came from. "Just one night, thanks," Harry said, tapping a finger on the counter.

The lady very quickly glanced up, not moving her head, her eyes flitting from Harry to Draco before back down to her screen. "Okay." She tapped a few keys. "We have two rooms left, would you like the queen-sized bed or the single?"

Blinking, Harry opened his mouth but closed it again. "Uh, look, um..." he squinted for a name badge.

"Abbie," she supplied.

"Right. Thanks. Abbie, do you mind if I convene with my..." Harry blanked. What were they? They definitely weren't friends. Harry would rather sleep another year under the stairs than call a Malfoy his friend. "...Er, colleague. Well, my ex-colleague, really." After the woman's politely-weirded-out smile, Harry grimaced and thanked her before quickly turning away and jogging over to Draco.

"Did you hear that?" he asked under his breath, hoping he wouldn't have to explain.

"Your awkwardness when talking to strangers is more overpowering than the smell of wet dog." Draco criticised, examining his nails. "I tuned out about five minutes ago. What did you do this time?"

"What did I-" glancing again back to the receptionist, Harry quickly lowered his tone. "There are two rooms left over."

"Is your brain too small to be able to choose, little Potty boy?" Draco feigned sympathy, tilting his head. "I'll give you a helping hand. Which room has an ensuite I can use? Also preferably a thick wall in between our two beds so that I don't have to look at your face first thing in the morning."

Harry cleared his throat, feeling the receptionist awkwardly waiting. "Uh, that's, um, not the problem. First room has one single, and the second room has one queen."

The confounded look Draco gave Harry made him think back over what he had said in case he had seriously messed up and said something a lot worse than he intended. "By single, do you mean a single ensuite with two beds on opposite sides of the room?"

Pursing his lips and putting his hands in his pockets, Harry looked down and shook his head.

"And by queen..."

"One queen bed, mate."

For some reason unbeknownst to Harry, Draco's face turned a furious shade of red.

Harry glanced back at the receptionist briefly. "So, uh, which do you wanna-"

Cutting him off, Draco held up a stiff hand and rapidly approached the desk. "We will purchase the single bed because there is no way I am sharing with him. Am I heard?"

The receptionist blinked a few times before looking down at her computer. "Uh, yes, sir. Except that means one of you won't have a bed. If you book the queen, however, you could-"

"No. Never." Draco interrupted, the tips of his ears still burning. "One single. Now how do I pay for this godforsaken thing?"

Standing slightly behind him, Harry realised he'd be forced to sleep on the ground. "Hey, Malfoy, wait." he hissed.

Clacking a few keys, Abbie reached behind her for a set of keys. "We make our customers pay after their stay has ended so that if any damages are sustained we can include that in the bill."