Chapter Nine

"Where are you going again?" Vernon asked gruffly as he groaned, stepping down the stairs.

Bustling around the room, Harry looked for something - anything - that could be used as a Halloween costume. "A staff party. Just- work, it's work."

"A party?" Vernon said sharply, and Harry immediately regretted his word choice.

"No, it's not even- it's just a few coworkers and I-"

"Petunia, dear, the boy wants to go to some party!" Vernon exclaimed as his wife walked into the room.

Petunia scoffed. "Well, clearly our message hasn't been strong enough." Putting down the basket of washing, Petunia puts her hands on her hips and looks Harry in the eye. "You're not going."

Trying not to get angry (it never ends well for him or his freedom), Harry stops rifling around the living room for possible costumes. "Please, it's just- I won't even dress up, it's not an important day, I'll still- I'll still be working."

Shaking his head with a laugh, Vernon sat down in front of the television. "Not a chance."

"In fact," Harry said, an idea forming. "I'll probably be paid even less. Because of, um..." Harry's struggle for an excuse didn't seem to matter, as already Vernon was looking thoughtful.

"Prob'ly serves him right," he muttered, and Petunia pursed her lips in agreement. Sticking his hands down the sides of the couch, searching for the remote, Vernon said, "So, s'pose we let you go. How long will you be gone for?"

"Oh, hours, definitely," Harry said confidently. "It will be so peaceful here, you'll forget I ever even existed."

Still unable to find the remote, Vernon's voice was strained as he looked under the coffee table. "You'll be back in time to put the bins out?"

"Yes. And clean the dishes, too." Harry tried not to look at the growing pile of dirty dishes piling up next to the sink.

Rejoicing his success, Vernon fell back onto the couch with the remote. "Found it... and, fine. I... suppose you can go to this one work shift."

Making sure not to look too happy so that Vernon wouldn't change his mind, Harry nodded. "I'll get my bag, then I'll be ready."

Petunia and Vernon made eye contact before Petunia let out a dry laugh. "You forget your place - you think you're actually going to be driven, do you?"

"Ah." Harry looked down and scratched his head. "Right. I'll get my bag and then I'll be ready to leave... to a bus station."

"You sure will."

----

As the bus travelled along the smooth road, Harry looked through his bag. He didn't have many Halloweeny costume options. He found a photo of his uncle when he was younger that was pretty horrifying, but he decided that his coworkers wouldn't appreciate that humour. So he had snuck into Dudley's room and found reindeer antlers that he thought would suffice.

When he arrived at the cafe, there was already the familiar Ford Anglia parked out front as well as a few other cars that Harry could recognise. No incredibly flashy car, however, so Malfoy mustn't be there yet.

Poking his head out of the door, Ron waved to Harry as he came over.

"Where's your costume, mate?" Harry laughed as he came inside. In response, Ron took out a massive white sheet and put it over his head.