Chapter Seven

Draco stared at the girl in front of him, squinting. "No."

Rolling her eyes, the freckly, red-headed girl huffed out a sigh. "Look, Malfoy, the only reason I'm asking is because McGonagall told me everyone needed to be invited if we were to have one. So if you want to keep your head up your ass then go ahead, we wouldn't miss you."

Wringing out the cleaning cloth and then gently holding it in his hands, Draco pursed his lips. "Look, Weasley, I told you I'm not interested. Why would I ever want to attend a staff party with you fools?"

"It's just something fun to celebrate twenty years of the business!" Ginny crossed her arms, glaring at the pale boy. "The others just thought about not telling you about it but I wanted to make sure the invitation was extended."

A little offended that he wasn't going to be invited even though he had no intention of going, Draco chucked the cloth into the sink and then dusted his hands off. "I'm touched, Weasley. Truly touched. A pity that the Golden Boy was too cowardly to do it himself and had to get his girlfriend to do it for him, however."

Ginny scowled, her cheeks turning bright red to match her hair. "Harry isn't my boyfriend. It just so happens that I don't hold my pride to such an important degree as he does."

"Who knew how harsh you could be, Ginevra." Draco raised his eyebrows as he turned away, amused at this savage side now that it's not directed towards him. "Tell Potter that though I'd love to associate myself with you outside of this drab place, I'll unfortunately have to give it a miss."

"Unbelievable." Sighing annoyedly, Ginny gave Draco the finger as soon as he turned his back.

From where he was sulking in the back room, Draco heard Ginny announce to the empty serving area, "Well, my shift is finished so good luck on your own," And then a muttered, "Bastard."

He scoffed. Laugh it off, as always. It's what he's always done. He'd backed himself into a corner since the beginning of high school and there was no going back now.

--

Wrapping her scarf around herself, Ginny opened the door and stepped into the biting wind, her hands shoved deep in her pockets as she crossed the icy carpark and swung herself into the backseat of an old blue Ford Anglia.

"What did he say?" Harry asked from the passenger seat, twisting so that he could see Ginny roll her eyes.

"I still don't understand why you couldn't ask him yourself."

"You wouldn't understand, Ginny," Ron scolded her, his hands on the steering wheel. "The world is a big and confusing place, you're just a baby. Also, did you happen to get snacks while you were in there?"

"Jesus Christ." Rubbing her nose, Ginny recited Draco's answer.

"Of course he said that, that little rat bastard," Ron said darkly, shaking his head.

Harry frowned. "I'm not cowardly. He's cowardly." Crossing his arms, Harry sunk down into the chair. He would have done up the seatbelt if it hadn't completely detached from prolonged use. Mrs Weasley wanted to get rid of the car but Arthur clearly had attachment and/or hoarding issues as told by the cluttered nature of the Burrow.

"You're so right, mate," Ron added supportively as he twisted the key and the Ford Anglia shuddered to life with some concerning splutters that made it sound like a seventy-year-old smoker.

"Well, what do we do now?" Ginny demanded, leaning forwards, rubbing her hands to attempt to get some circulation back in. "Is that heater working?"