Chapter Thirty-four

Sitting on his small bed, Harry looked out at the window. The sky was beginning to turn different colours as the sun prepared to set. One last sunset. Only one night time, one sunrise, before this life is over. The life he knew, at least. Was Harry being dramatic? Who knows.

He tapped his phone, checking for the third time in the last minute. The same message was frozen on the cracked screen: On Our Way. Sent five minutes ago.

Resting his head on the wall, Harry sighed. Luckily the Dursleys were away on some last-minute holiday, otherwise Ron and Hermione wouldn't even make it past the front door. From the corner of his eye, Harry saw his screen light up and he practically leapt towards it.

Draco: You weren't at work.

Harry: you rly think theyd let me go to my shift when i was almost shot?

Draco: Touché.

Harry: you shouldnt have come anyway. anything you do to do with me is just even more dangerous than before

Draco: Oh shut up, Potter.

Harry: excuse me?

Draco: Your self-pity isn't going to get you anywhere. Maybe I'm not doing all this for you. have you ever even thought that not everything is about the Chosen Boy? Who knows, maybe I just enjoy putting my life on the line for some dumb boy just because it's my usual weekend activity.

Harry: it's a tuesday

Draco: As usual, you're missing the fucking point, Potter. Why do I bother with your cargo-pants wearing, teenage-boy deodorant arse.

Harry: youre... energetic this evening

Draco: Sorry. I still have adrenaline pumping through my veins and this is not a normal feeling for me.

Harry: so i can tell. why the adrenaline?

At the sound of the knock on the door, Harry jolted up. He quickly typed "gtg" before chucking his phone onto his bed. A massive smile on his face, Harry thundered down the hallway and swung open the front door. "Hello."

"Get in here, you sorry bugger," Ron grinned, pulling Harry in for a strong hug. "Thank god for public holidays. I love a good early evening finish to a shift."

Behind him, Hermione smiled. "Good to see you, Harry. Are we coming in?"

"Yeah, yeah, come on in," Harry took a step back, patting Ron's shoulder and let them walk past. "Just to the right."

All three of them perched in various places around the room, Hermione put her hands on her hips. "Okay. So this is what you have packed?"

The large trunk lay in the middle of the floor, a crumpled shirt half hanging out.

"Yep."

Hermione muttered something under her breath before rubbing her face. "That's okay, we can work with this. Ron, you collect small belongings and put them on the bed. Harry, you fold clothes. I'll sort out what's rubbish and what's not."

"Shouldn't I be the one doing that, given it's my stuff?" Harry pointed out.

Hermione just made a politely disgusted face. "No." she patted him on the back. "Now get to work."

Ron went around the room, taking items off Harry's shelf of drawers, throwing them to the bed. The can of deodorant collided with the bottle of hair gel the Dursleys had tried to make Harry use - not that it ever did anything. Suddenly, Ron bolted upright. "Oh my god, I just remembered what happened today."