Chapter Thirty-two

Harry pushed up his glasses and continued typing, the unsteady hum of the bus and the quiet chatter completely tuned out.

Harry: so then he just punched him. or well tried to cos he slipped on ice. hes ok tho

Draco: It doesn't surprise me that Cormac is the one who unmasked his own stupidity.

Harry had often found himself wondering Draco's views on this kind of stuff. In their high school days - which wasn't too long ago - Harry has vivid memories of Draco's disgusting behaviour, using horrible words, some of which that Cormac used today. Can people really change that much?

Harry: me neither

Draco: He's quite imbecilic if he hasn't kept up to date with the very prevalent Black Lives Matter movement. I don't even know how he got this far with Granger who doesn't strike me as type to be quiet about civil rights and equality in general.

Harry: well ur right there

ive heard u say the n word before. ages ago, at hogwarts. yet you call cormac the stupid one but you did the same ages ago

Chewing his lip, Harry stared intensely at the screen at the three dots indicating Draco was typing. He wondered if he had gone too far.

Draco: My family's opinions are wrong. As a younger person I was impressionable and wanted to fit in with the people my family valued. Unfortunately, you have to be an asshole to do that, it seemed. I no longer associate myself with those values. Surely you should know that.

Harry: i do

and im not surprised

Draco: No? Do I have to work harder to surprise you, now?

Harry: seems like it

With a grin, Harry glanced up from his screen and saw his stop sliding past the window. He jumped up, almost at the same time as a man opposite him. When Harry was about to call for the bus to stop, standing and holding the hanging strap, he noticed a telephone box he didn't recognize. Wait, no, this was the wrong place. He was nowhere near Privet Drive.

Sighing with relief, Harry sat back down in the seat, the impression of thousands of butts making a weirdly comfortable pillow.

The man opposite him sat down again, too.

A feeling in Harry's gut told him that something wasn't right. Gripping his phone tightly, he risked a glance up at the man and felt his blood ran cold when he made direct eye contact.

Trying to look as casual as possible, Harry rose from his seat and took controlled breaths as he strolled down the aisle between citizens who had no idea the fear that was quickly speeding his heart up.

Slowly, a woman in the front row seat stood up and stared at Harry, tilting her chin up. The exit was blocked.

Harry could have sworn his heart stop beating.

Behind him, the man had gotten to his feet again and Harry tried to ignore the part of his brain wondering if he would ever get to text Draco back.

He made eye contact with the woman in front of him, trying to figure out where he knew her from. The woman's eyes flicked to something behind him and before he could turn around, a loud voice yelled, "HARRY!" And he was tackled from behind, pressed to the floor of the bus.