Chapter Twenty-seven

Hands deep in his pockets, Harry shivered as he tried to pay attention to Hermione ranting about the history of slavery in America. However, he found it difficult to process anything she was saying when he couldn't stop thinking about Draco's hair. How much product did he put in it? Did it actually take that long? Does he stand in front of the mirror for hours with a comb and a bucket of gel?

"-ven though the people around him were involved in the anti-slave movement. Take John Laurens, for example." Hermione's dark eyes were wide as she looked to the two people beside her for a sign for her to continue.

Eyebrows furrowed, Ron rubbed his head. "Hold on. Where did Geoffrey come in?"

"Jefferson," Hermione corrected, batting her frizzy hair out of her eyes. "And I mentioned him towards the beginning. As well as the third president, he was the primary draftsman of the Declaration of Independence." At Ron's blank stare, Hermione stifled a sigh and turned desperately to Harry. "You understand, don't you?"

When Draco said "let my hair go wild," how wild did he mean? If he didn't have it gelled back, surely it wouldn't be that messy. It looks like the type of hair that is always just flat and lifeless. Maybe it would be soft.

"Harry?"

"It probably isn't," Harry spluttered, face slowly turning red. Confronted by the confused stares of his friends, Harry pushed his glasses up his nose. "Um, what?"

Hermione's face relaxed and she gave Ron a meaningful look before saying, "It's okay, Harry. We understand you're stressed about, well, everything."

Ron nodded supportively. "Now that we're kinda in a legitimate war, especially. Like," he leant on the back of the park bench, arms crossed firmly. "You could deadass die. That's tough shit."

"Oh, er," Harry tried to shake the image of Draco's un-gelled hair out of his head before swiftly transitioning the movement into a nod. "Yeah, um, the war. It's... I dunno, it could definitely be a lot worse." He smiled, though he worried it looked too forced. "I'm still alive, aren't I?"

"That is true," Hermione nodded, though she didn't look satisfied with Harry's answer. What did she want him to do, break down? Throw a tantrum?

Ron, on the other hand, nodded. "True shit, mate. Still kicking."

Harry chuckled. "Still kicking."

Clearing his throat, Ron put his elbows on his knees and awkwardly rubbed his hands together. "Well, I have news."

"Do share," Hermione said, raising an eyebrow. She placed her hands on her knees.

Ron puffed out his chest and gave her a side glance before talking. "I have a girlfriend."

Eyebrows shooting towards his hairline, a shocked laugh escaped from Harry's mouth before he even realised it did. "Shut up!"

"Yep." Ron nodded, fighting to keep his face neutral. "Decided, ah... yesterday morning."

Not registering the unusual silence from Hermione, Harry punched Ron's shoulder. "Why didn't you tell me, you little shit!" he leant back his head and laughed, ruffling Ron's ginger hair. "Who is the unlucky woman?"

"Lavender Brown, presumably." Hermione said tightly.

Ron shot her a glare, and even Harry felt the tension.

His laugh reluctantly faded, but his smile was more stubborn. "I mean, for whatever reason they're together now, that's pretty good! Congratulations, mate."

"Yes," Hermione's eyes narrowed as she smiled. "Congratulations, Ronald."

"What's your deal?" Ron frowned at her, his voice growing louder, travelling across the frozen ground.

"Come on, man," Harry forced a chuckle and he shoved Ron gentle enough to not seem aggressive, but strong enough so that he knew to cut it out.

Movements taut, Hermione stood up from the park bench. "Calm down, Ronald. Is it so bad for a friend to congratulate you on a new relationship?"

Ron stood up as well, his fists clenched from within his pockets. "Oh yeah? How's Cormac?"

Hermione's nostrils flared. "I am not dating Cormac."

"Last time I heard, he asked you out and you said yes!"

Harry didn't know if he had the energy to stop this. He wanted to sigh, maybe rub his eyes. But these were the two people he's had almost half his life and he couldn't lose that as well. "I could do with some hot chocolate, I don't know about you guys," he said as a lame attempt to change the subject.

Raising her chin, Hermione's glare was as strong as it had ever been. "Why has that made you so apoplectic? Just because he asked me and you didn't?"

At this point, Harry was quite ready to run for the hills. Eager to diffuse the situation, he tried to laugh. "Ron doesn't want to ask you out, 'Mione. Right, Ron?" he turned to Ron who just glared, his cheeks with a new red tinge. The smile dropped from Harry's face. When the hell did this happen?

"I hope you have a good time with Lavender," Hermione said with a derisive smile before holding tightly to her bag and marching away.

Clenching his teeth, Ron held out a hand as he yelled at her retreating form, "I will!" With a surly look on his face, he stalked off in the other direction.

Around Harry, the wind picked up and he shivered. "Well then."