Chapter Thirty-nine

When Harry was told that Remus and Sirius was coming over, he was relieved that he would finally have someone to talk to that didn't speak to him like he was a terminally ill patient. Silently sorting through the cards shuffled to him, saying Harry was disappointed would be an understatement.

After pursing his lips for a moment, scanning his cards, Remus said, "Do you have a seven?"

Harry stifled a sigh. "Go fish. Do you have a Queen?"

"Go fuck yourself." Sirius muttered before bitterly slapping a card from his deck in front of Harry.

They were crowded around a small coffee table, Remus and Harry on Bill and Fleur's two-seater couch, Sirius on a decaying armchair. The air was hot and constantly smelt of seasalt, which did not help Harry's temper.

Sirius looked closely at his cards. "Remus, do you have... an Ace?"

"Go fish. Harry, do you ha-"

Dropping his deck on the table, Harry crossed his arms. "God, do we have to keep doing this?"

Sirius and Remus exchanged a look.

"How much longer are we going to keep pretending everything is normal?" Harry demanded. "When can I just... get out of here? Jesus!" Wiping his hair off his forehead, Harry's palm swipes over the crusted scab on his forehead. It had split again the other day when it was the hottest it had been all week and to make everything worse, Snape was on duty at the Cottage. Harry only felt slightly guilty at the two picture frames he accidentally smashed. He was more sorry that the picture frames hadn't made contact with Snape's slimy face.

Remus put his cards down before clasping his hands together. "Harry... look," he made an attempt to brighten his tone. "Moody is tracking them down as we speak. Maybe you'll be allowed to leave soon."

Looking to Sirius, Harry silently hope for a different answer.

Sirius sighed. "Look, kid. It's getting tense." Remus shot him a warning look but Sirius waved him off. "People on our side have gone missing and-"

"What?" Harry started. "Who? And- and when? Have we been able to find him?"

"What do you think 'gone missing' means?" Sirius said before shaking his head. "Sorry. But, now just isn't a time where we can take risks. Here is the safest place for you." He looked at Remus and had another silent conversation that Harry was very used to getting frustrated about not being able to understand. Those two could basically read each other's minds. They've been together since before Harry was born, that he knew for sure. They were together before his parents tied the knot, too.

A thought struck Harry.

"How come you two never got married?"

Remus' eyebrows shot up. "That's, er, random." He looked to Sirius who had stopped in the middle of tying up his hair.

"We're not getting any younger, Harry," Sirius said slowly. "We have more important things to worry about."

"So you never wanted to get married?"

Sirius took in a breath as Remus readjusted his seating position, rubbing his jaw that was in need of a shave. "Well, not exactly. I wanted to get married," Sirius said. "We talked about it a few times."

Not finding any solid answer, Harry raises his eyebrows and leans forwards. "So... why didn't you?"

It was Remus, next to Harry, who spoke softly. "We didn't want to get married if your parents weren't there to see it."

Harry's eyes dropped. "Oh," he said, feeling regret creep up his back as the room fell into an uncomfortable silence.

Right on time, Fleur walks through the bead curtain separating the kitchen and the living room. She carries a platter. "Would you boys like some pastries? I cooked zem up quickly just with what we 'ad, but I think zey turned out well!"

"Actually," Remus stood up with a creak from the couch, holding out a hand for Sirius. "We should get going."

Sirius checked the time on his phone. "Shit, yeah, we're overtime. Arthur's gonna kill us if he finds-" Abruptly stopping, he looked guiltily at Harry who had just stood up.

Harry felt his heart sink a little bit more. "You guys have a schedule for when you can see me?"

The look Sirius and Remus exchanged said it all.

"Well." Still holding the platter, Fleur froze her smile to her face, making sure to remain cheerful. "That is okay! I wish you two a safe journey."

The couple thanked her before, one by one, giving Harry a hug. Harry has noticed that recently everyone's hugs have been just a little bit tighter and lasted just a little bit longer.

The door closes behind them and Fleur closes an array of locks before re-joining Harry, her hands on her hips. "Well, I guess we will 'ave to eat these ourselves."