Chapter Twenty-six

"Soon, Aunt Bella."

"No need to make a scene, Bellatrix." Snape said slowly. "The time will come, and it will be done." He looked directly at Narcissa who nodded to herself, lips pursed.

"Meanwhile," A voice that grated on Draco's nerves interrupted the tense silence. Everyone looked up to see a heavily cloaked and incredibly pale figure standing in the doorway, an eerie silhouette against the dim lights behind him. "There are other matters closer at... hand." Slowly, he drew up his left sleeve and, bit by bit, a tattoo was revealed.

Around the table, people began doing the same. Pulling up sleeves, showcasing the ink needled into their skin, an ever-present reminder of who they signed up to serve.

Slowly, Lord Voldemort began walking forwards. Draco couldn't see his eyes. "Pettigrew. Bring our newest members to me, and prepare the machine."

Next to Draco, Pansy was gripping her forearm from under the table, her facial expression appearing unbothered but her jaw tight. Only someone who knew her well would be able to see the fear in her dark eyes.

Draco's leg was shaking uncontrollably when a small man stood up from a few chairs away. Draco recognised him from the other day.

 "Our Master started something long ago he wishes to end," a small man next to him said, the look in his eyes showing something too complicated to put into words.

Before Draco could ponder on what he could have meant by that very ominous statement, a surprisingly strong hand seized his shoulder, bunching up his blazer and pulling him to his feet.

From the short yelp that came from Pansy, he knew that she had received the same treatment.

Next to him, Narcissa's lips were pressed so tightly together that it looked as though she didn't have any at all. Draco willed her to look up, desperately wanting some reassurance. But she only stared at her hands folded neatly in her lap, refusing to meet Draco's eye.

An imaginary force tugged at Draco's heart, and he suddenly felt very alone and very scared.

An unnecessarily firm hand on both of their shoulders, Pettigrew pushed them towards the end of the table, closer to the threatening, pale figure.

"Left arm, out." Lord Voldemort whispered, looking at the two teens with wide eyes, daring them to refuse.

With one glance at each other, Draco pulled up his blazer sleeve and Pansy her shirt sleeve. Draco was shaking.

Making the hair on Draco's arm stand up, Voldemort laid a hand on both people. Up close, he seemed even eerier than before. His visible veins spread like a spiderweb over his bald head seemed grey in the light, and his eyes gave a glint that Draco swore looked a deep, unsettling red. "This is an honour I only grant to very few people."

Too scared to look away, Draco heard movement behind him, the buzz of a machine coming to life. He wanted to pull his arm that Voldemort was holding back to his body, but couldn't move.

"You pledging your allegiance to me is the highest honour. My followers are the most important thing in the world to me, I only choose the best, most worthy." Slowly, his eyes flicked to Pansy's unwavering gaze. He took a few moments to look her up and down. "Miss Parkinson... where was your father from?"

Pansy's jaw tightened. After a deep breath, she managed to speak with a neutral tone. "My step-father is from London, sir."

"'Master' will do, actually." Lord Voldemort tilted his head. "And I mean your real father. He passed away quite some time ago, didn't he?" his tone was quiet, thoughtful, though Draco got the distinct impression that he didn't actually care. "Where was he from?"