the prince visits the peasant

~Zak's POV~

I remember sitting down on a bed of flowers, next to him. Darryl. He smiled at me as we laid eyes on each other. His face looked soft, especially his lips. I remember him giggling about something dumb, something about me but I couldn't remember what it was.

I remember him, holding my hand as we ran through the field, a much different feeling from his usual habit of holding my wrist. Memories of him asking me advice for Vincent flooded through my head. Vincent was not a good person, I warned Darryl about that but it seemed challenging for Darryl to ditch him.

So there I was, sitting down on a flowerbed with my "best friend". There was no better time. I leaned in close to his face, holding his chin to turn a certain angle and connected our lips.

Before I was able to get his reaction, I woke up.

I sigh, pulling myself out of bed and closing my curtains to stop the sunlight from blinding me. I check the time, it was only 6, the usual time I would wake up and prep for school.

I hear a knock on my bedroom door, I stretch and let out a yawn before answering it. I open it up and see my maid, she has a platter on a rolling cart. On it is a stack of pancakes, strips of bacon, and a few scrambled eggs. With the platter, there were also glasses of iced water and a stack of dining plates. She bows her head in a respectful manner as a greeting.

"Good morning your majesty,"

I scratch an itch at the back of my head before answering. "Good morning,"

"The Queen and King are going out, they wanted you to stay for school. Your mother said to just serve you breakfast in your room. She left me a list of all of your rules," she bends down and takes a folded note from one of the three shelfs from the cart. She holds it with her index and middle finger and hands it to me.

As I unfold the note, she starts to transfer some of the food to a dining plate. Once the note was unfolded, I started to read.

"Dear Zak,

As we are out, this doesn't mean you have the whole palace to yourself. The staff will be looking out for you, your father and I should be returning home in 2-3 days. We still expect you to follow the same rules you would follow even with us home. Remember:

1. Curfew is at 7. We know you snuck out at 9 a few nights ago; so we will be shortening your time in the kingdom by an hour.

2. No friends over unless we know their parents/they're in the upper class.

3. No sleepovers.

4. Do not make an special requests from the kitchen staff. We already have them orders for your meals.

5. No staying up.

6. No disrespecting the staff.

7. No sneaking out of or missing school.

-Sincerely, Mother and Father"

I groan, finishing up the reading the rules and refolding it and crumpling up the paper and throwing it in a nearby trash bin. "Your food, your majesty," my maid tells me, grabbing my attention back. She hands me the plate of food, not leaving until I take it. As she leaves, I set the plate down on my bed.

I pull clothes from a dresser. I pull on a white uniform shirt, tying a black tie around my neck. I pull over a navy blue blazer. I look around making sure no one is watching and pull down my pants to replace them with my uniform khaki pants. I rapidly tidy up my hair and relax on my bed.