gentle friend

~Darryl's POV~

And so, like that, I left.

It felt dumb staying. He said himself that I could leave if I had wanted - that was his gentle way of saying he didn't need me now. If he really wanted me to stay, he wouldn't have offered for me to leave.

I remember feeling eyes on me. The eyes of  the staff, of the girls, of the parents, even the king and queen, and most specially, the eyes of Zak on me. Passing through the doorway, I look back over my shoulder, seeing Zak, back with another new girl. He catches my glance, returns it, and smiles and wave. I have no choice but to do the same.

I exit the palace alone for the first time. I feel endangered by the outside guards' heavy glares and I could only assume they thought I was kicked or something.

I didn't know where to go from there. I had completely forgot about my backpack and my clothes I had left in Zak's rooms, but at that point, I was outside the walls and ready to go home. I was still in Zak's clothes, but this could be my excuse to see him again. We could meet, he could return my clothes, and I could return his. But for the meantime, I needed something else to occupy myself.

I made my way back to the main town. The skies were a orangey-red sunset, sun still high, blinding and shiny. It was around that time where all the vendors and shopkeepers were getting ready to pack and go home.

I walk around the streets, collecting stares for my fancier attire. I know I have no money on me, unless Zak stuffed some in the pockets of the suit.

I was hungry, and tired, and drained, and numb. I couldn't go home, not just yet. All I could think about was the heavy heart that would be keeping me up tonight. I shouldn't feel this way, I know I shouldn't feel this way, I should be happy. Happy for my close friend who was out there, having the time of his life. But it wasn't a choice, and I wasn't happy.

I wasn't completely sure whether my parents were home or not, but still, I didn't want to be left alone in my bed sulking about Zak being happy with some random rich girl.

And like that, I wasn't sure where to turn. The graveyard? The flower field? The empty pasture and chapel? All places would only bring me back memories that I wasn't ready to go to.

I look up and watch my surroundings. The usual comforting bustle of familiar townspeople had died down and it was that time of the day where you go back to contemplating how long it could go on. I sigh, brushing off the stares of people bewildered onto why I was wearing a suit much more than my worth as a person at the middle of the evening.

I know soon enough it'll be dark, so I need a shelter anywhere except home, and I think I know the perfect place.

———

The restaurant is still open, artificial lights still lighting up now unlit streets.

I invite myself in, pushing open the door to see about 2-3 occupied tables and the rest left to be cleaned. The bar seemed to be wiped off, so early too. There's a boy behind the counter, mopping. That boy was Vincent, and the chimes of the bell that indicated someone had walked in had caused his head to perk up and focus on me instead of the floor he was meant to be cleaning.

His face lights up. I wave, a hand pulling down part of the suit's blazer. He leans the mop down against the counter and pulls off the beige apron that he wore, tucking it and holding it as a butler would hold a towel.

In attempt to leave customers undisturbed, he leads me out to the back in silence.

Once we're alone, he finds it the right time to speak up.