forever and always

~Darryl's POV~

"Honey!" My mom called out, "It's time to get up! You're going to be late!"

I groan and rub my eyes. I sit up on my bed. I look over at my drawer and notice the bouquet of flowers. I smile. I remember that night with Vincent. It was odd though. I laid down to relax, and I hear him say he loves me in French. I only know a few words in French; bonjour, doctuer poivre, and je t'aime. (hello, doctor pepper, and I love you)

I assumed he just missed hanging out with me and meant it in a total platonic way. I knew French was known as the most romantic language, so that's why I learned how to say I love you in French, so I could tell it to the person I loved.

I fixed up my hair, untangling any knots with my fingers. I brushed my teeth and got changed into my school uniform. I packed my homework and entered my kitchen. My mom had prepared me lunch that I tucked into the pocket of my backpack and left for school.

I think about Zak. I felt bad for hanging out with Vincent instead of him, but I guess I have been spending more time with Zak instead of Vincent. They were both my best friends now.

I meet Vincent at school. We weren't very popular and we were both were painfully average. No one ever really talked to us, we were mediocre students, and the teachers never really payed attention to us either. But we had each other.

"Good morning," Vincent greets me. He looks a little red, I just assumed he was cold.

"Good morning," I say back, "About last night, did you bring me home?"

"Oh. Um, yeah. You were really light," I nod as we enter the school. We walk over to lockers and pack some of our notebooks in our lockers and head to an outside bench of the school.

I yawn and stretch a little bit and look at Vincent who was staring blankly at the floor. I kick my feet to the ground in boredom. He grabs his water bottle from his backpack and drinks a little.

I clear my throat. "Do you ever want to go back to the flower field again?" I ask trying to break the awkward silence.

He looks up at me and smiles, "Sure!" he answers excitedly. I smile. I tried my best to balance my time with Vincent and Zak. It was hard sometimes, because Vincent started acting shy and awkward around me for the past year.

Zak was a great friend. It was upsetting people only used him for his wealth, because he was so much more than that. He was funny, kind, smart, and respectful.

I lay my head in my hand and rest it on the armrest of the bench. "Hey, Vince?"

"Hm?"

"Did I ever do something to you that you didn't like?" I look over to him as I say that.

He thinks for a moment, "No, why?"

I look back at the ground, "I feel like for the past year, you've been acting different around me. I don't know if I did something, but if I did I'm sorry and you can tell me so I don't do it again,"

I see him from the corner of my eye. He seemed a bit shocked. I frown, thinking I did something wrong again. "It's fine, Darryl. You didn't do anything,"

I wasn't sure if he was lying or not so I just nodded. "I'm sorry that I've been spending so much time with Zak. He's never had a friend before,"

Vincent nods slightly a bell rings throughout the school. We head over to our first period class, advisory. Vincent took a seat next to me. Our teacher started to take attendance. After 15 minutes, we exit the class and go off to second period.

Vincent sat at a nearby table, two tables away from mine. He sat slouched down in his chair with his arms crossed frowning. I frowned too. The teacher turned to the front of the class and pointed to the chalkboard, scribbling words onto it.

I look back at Vincent who was obviously upset. "Psst," I call to Vincent. He turns his head and raised an eyebrow. "Are you mad at me?"

He shakes his head no. "Are you sure? You seem mad at me," I whisper-shout back to Vincent.

He leans closer to me, "Not right now, Darryl," he whisper-shouts back.

My frown lowers. "Is this about Zak?"

I think it was, because once I said Zak's name, he swiftly turned his head to look at the board. I sigh. I think back to the flower field. He asked me if I was replacing him with Zak. Of course I tell him no, but I wonder if Vincent is jealous. Maybe they just need to spend more together. I frown again. I sigh before facing the board again.

After our first few classes, it was lunch break. Vincent still walked with me, seeing as we both don't have any other friends in the school. But he stayed quiet the whole time. We sat across each other on our lunch table. Vincent focused on his food.

I clear my throat, "I love you too," I tell Vincent breaking the silence.

"What?" Vincent replies a bit flustered.

"That's what you said in the flower field, right? I'm really sorry if I've been making you feel left out or awkward, but you're a great friend nonetheless,"

"Oh," he says starting to face his tray again. I couldn't but think that I did something wrong again. He nods his head.

"Honestly, though. You're really nice and smart. And, you stuck by me even though no one else would talk to me. You've been with me since the beginning. You're my best friend, I hope we're friends forever," I try to make it better.

He looks up at me and nods slightly. He had a slight smile, but it didn't have any meaning. I smile back, not knowing what else to do.

"Thanks Darryl," Vincent said tonelessly.

He got up and threw away is tray and exited to the hall. I sighed, now alone. I look around, loud chatter filled the room. Suddenly, I hear squealing and excited yelling from the hall.

I decide to follow it and I see Zak surrounded by many girls and boys talking to him. Why is he here?

————————————————————————
Thank you for reading part 6 :)

Feel free to give suggestions and vote if you enjoyed!
——————————————————————————

Words: 1107